• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Twitching, Tremors, MBD, UV and D3.

alewis0890

5 Year Member
Also,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.solarmeter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.solarmeter.com</a><!-- m -->

:)

EDIT:

Sorry Tux.. Didn't see you said solartec already...

Tux

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html</a><!-- m -->

That's the 1 you want.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks.

I've never used one and have just been careful about the bulbs I buy and when I replace them. Is this really a worthwhile investment?

Laura

firebreather

5 Year Member
Tux said:
You may want to read <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-summary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyph ... ummary.htm</a><!-- m -->

even though they claim to have corrected the issues no tests have been done on the new lights so I would be cautious.

Thanks for the concern :)

Yes, I had gone to that page, and did some research. i decided to try them anyway since they said they were revamped. I decided to contact Zilla one way or another to get DIRECT confirmation :lol:

So, feeling somewhat trusting I decided to use it, and that was last year. I haven't seen any problems with my tegus darling. So... I don't know lol. Thats just me. I'm going to keep using them. If anything, you'll know ;)

Tux

5 Year Member
firebreather said:
Thanks for the concern :)

Yes, I had gone to that page, and did some research. i decided to try them anyway since they said they were revamped. I decided to contact Zilla one way or another to get DIRECT confirmation :lol:

So, feeling somewhat trusting I decided to use it, and that was last year. I haven't seen any problems with my tegus darling. So... I don't know lol. Thats just me. I'm going to keep using them. If anything, you'll know ;)

What did they say? Also I's still like to see tests that actually confirm the change as the word coming from the manufacturer would be suspect, I'm not the trusting type, not in this industry.

tupinambisfamiliaris the signs are the same with any animal, swollen limbs from connective tissue weak bones and joints often causing the animal to not be able to stand or walk properly or the joints to become disjointed, malformed jaws causing issues eating, paralysis, trembling, twisted limbs, stunted growth and even constipation.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was not impressed with company after dealing with a beardie with photokeratoconjunctivitis. A friend bought a pair of baby beardies from me and a pet store sold her the slim line desert uv. One of the dragons was half dead, skin burnt, eyes swollen. She brought it to me to rehab while she was on vacation. That's when I first found the uv uk website...getting some info on possible conditions. I turned off the light, the dragons were fine within days.

When I contacted the owner of Zilla, he was very unconcerned, offered no retribution for vet costs, just told me to take the bulb back to the pet store since it had been recalled. Nice.....

firebreather

5 Year Member
Tux said:
You may want to read <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-summary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyph ... ummary.htm</a><!-- m -->

even though they claim to have corrected the issues no tests have been done on the new lights so I would be cautious.

Thanks yea I came across that link not too long ago actually. It is pretty useful. But it is some what old. I had them a little while before reading it. No problems to date. So for now I guess they're alright. If I see anything odd you'll hear from me. They should do a new study. You know whats going on with that? I'm curious.

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
Once my tegu jumped out of my hands and when I picked him up he started twitching (hind legs, fingers, front legs) and after a few hours he was fine again.

taterbug

5 Year Member
:( My Tegu started twitching today and I just moved him into a new enclosure today and I think he got a little hot at least I hope that is what it was I moved him back to his old one for the time being until I can get a handel on the temp I have a 100 watt basking bulb on a dimmer switch and a Reptiglo 10.0 UVB lamp in the enclosure also and he has a cool end I just think it got hot all over I have not yet installed my thermometer but I will before he goes back to new enclosure.. THANKS FOR THE INFO

randyjmiller

Hello everyone,

I worry when ever I think about this. I have UVA bulb and UVB tubes for my little friend but I wonder if its body is able to get full benefit from the UVB source cause it spends soo much time under the substrate and in its hide. I could be wrong cause I do work during the A.M. But it seems like its in there for like 22 of 24 hours a day if not going for a whole day at a time without coming out.

randyjmiller

By the way I've not seen any signs of health issues regarding the light or otherwise, I just don't know if it would harm itself like that.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
What are the temps in the enclosure ? Next time when you are off see if he come out ( since you don't know if he does when you are at work ).

randyjmiller

And another question I've been wondering what els besides rodents can I feed tegu that will provide calcium. I have the dust because of my other reptiles. But I didn't know, if I could get away without feeding it rodents or dusting.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
My basking spot is higher, around 110-115F. Ambient temp - 82-85F.

If you can, invest in a mercury vapor bulb. I find they greatly improved my Tegus that I took on who came with me with MBD. My red seems to have improved a lot. (Althought once damage is done, cannot be totally reversed).

I use the MegaRay bulb (160w). I have a large enclosure.
I also use Powersun for my monitor, it's also great.

10.0 tubes I use for my bearded dragons. I found they weren't as great for my Tegus.

When summer arrives, take him outside. He'll improve a great deal.

randyjmiller

I've not got it in the cage yet cause its still a tiny thing. but ive got an 8.0 and two 100w uva but I usually only run one so i can easily kick it a little higher. The little critter isnt sick. hes fine, and has a crazy appetite. It just took me by suprise a little. Of course I knew he was gonna hide but i didn't think he would hide this much, I was just wondering if it wouldnt deprive itself of precious uvb.

I also use a 10.0 for my bearded friend.

Btw, crazy this. I watched yur youtube videos couple months back cool vids. small world kinda thing.

G

Hello,

As a new member here, I wanted to share my experiences with my 2 year old columbian black&gold tegu my gf and I care for.

He's in extremely good shape.

I use a 160 watt ZooMed (tm) UVB bulb for BOTH regulating his temp., as well as a daily UVB source.

His diet consists of 90% raw eggs (lapped up) 5% raw turkey and 5% snails.

I ONLY keep him in a small enclosure (24"x30") during the night where he burrows inside of pillows and a mound of blankets - absolutely no sand, rocks, grass, gravel or wood chips/shavings.

He sleeps 8 hours a day while we're at work and he comes out for 3-4 hours in the evening - where he can bask under the UVB and raise his body temp.

Once he's warm enough, we take him into the shower and let him relax. After 5 minutes or so of relaxation, he does his duty, gets dried off and he has full reign of my bedroom. He goes under the bed routinely to rest, then comes to the UVB to warm up again. I feed him either an egg, the shell, a snail or ground turkey - sometimes all the above depending on HIS tastes.

Now, there isn't anything scientific about our approach, just a little common sense. In the 2.5 yrs we've had this captive-bred tegu, we've learned his habits and we've learned how to manage him and them, accordingly.

Now then...The reason I'm posting this is just to let concerned people know that you CAN raise a perfectly healthy tegu without supplements as long as you consistently AND constantly shower your tegu with UVB lighting.

Now to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying NOT TO use supplements because I do believe that vitamins and minerals that can not be found in a tegus diet need to be supplemented. However, on the diet I provide my tegu (at least at this age) he doesn't require supplements or extra calcium added to his diet. Obviously YOUR tegu is different, but there's a possibility that you may have as much success as I have if you follow these steps.

It's apparent many people don't research these reptiles and/or are fed wrong information. I understand many people do things differently with their reptiles so hopefully what I do will only serve to help those looking for a new/different/refreshing approach to raising their tegu.

Lastly I encourage any tegu owner to look at your reptiles enclosure as a "temporary" habitat your tegu sleeps in. You can potty train your tegu to go to the bathroom 1x a day if you get him used to going in the shower/tub - just let the warm running water flow all over his body until he's relaxed enough to go. Then let him run around your room and set up a portable UVB/heat bulb he can go to for warmth and UVB. Let him do the management of his own temp/uvb and you won't have to worry about the enclosure AT ALL.

Lastly, our lizards aren't dumb. They KNOW what they need to regulate when it comes to UVB and warmth - possibly even calcium requirements - sometimes our tegu will go on an egg-shell binge and eat JUST the egg shells.

Anyways, just wanted to give my 02 cents on our tegu and how we have raised him so far. Hope it helps someone.

ripchacha

march 6th 2011 i had my colombian black and white tegu for three years she just died to day from starvation from mouth rot i did alot of reaserch on tegus b4 i made my purchase and never read anything on it before but my vet told me its very common in them i just would like to address this problem the signs my baby girl had was she wudnt even look at food lost alot of weight in this prosses we wud jamm food down her throat we were injecting her with antibiotics and giving her a bunch of things we tried so hard but she couldnt pull through if u have had somthing like this happen plz let me kno but my girl had it for atleast a year and was trying to eat up till 2 months GO SHE STOPPED EATING and i was jamming liver and ground turkey down her throat R.I.P CHA CHA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980