• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UVB questions

ierowe

5 Year Member
i am getting ready to put in a uvb light in my tegu enclosure. The cage is 8' by 4'.
I am not sure weather to go with a fluorescent type or something like a powersun. I will have 90W halogen for heat also.
Second I will be taking him outside frequently. Is this a substitute for his lighting. is the time outside in direct unfiltered sunlight the time under a uvb light or is less time required when spent outside to get the appropriate amount to prevent mbd.
I was told by a herp rescue that if they are allowed out in real sunlight they only need it for 20-30 mins daily.

Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ierowe said:
I was told by a herp rescue that if they are allowed out in real sunlight they only need it for 20-30 mins daily.
I have heard similar. We get ours outside once a week for about an hour along with ReptiSun 10 tubes.

Tux

5 Year Member
If you do the math 20-30min outside is obviously not enough UVB per day. I recommend using an MVB if the animal is indoors but yes get it outside as much as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029