• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Vet results came back... Tapeworms?

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Hello all! I've been informed by my vet that my tegu had picked up tapeworms! Dorian has been a little blocked up for about a week now, and I had assumed she was constipated initially. Apparently, after a vet visit and some lab work, she has a parasite infestation! I know it's darn near impossible to figure out exactly where these little guys have been picked up from (substrate, the yard, prey), I'll have to bleach everything and do a thorough cleaning of the patio, too.

Could I have picked them up from her? Are these buggers species specific, or should I make a visit to my human vet as well? lol. I haven't been able to nail anything down in web searches for tapeworms in particular. I appreciate any input, or links to other threads I may have missed.

Cheers

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Maybe.

There's a whole lot of vagueness here, so it is impossible to offer any real advice. You say the vet determined your tegu has a parasite infestation, did they actually say "tapeworm" or did they say worms in general? Some worms are more easily treated than others. Tapeworms, unfortunately, tend to fall into the "other" category.

Tapeworm is a somewhat broad category, there are different kinds of tapeworm. Typically, they are acquired from eating contaminated flesh, or direct contact with feces. Some can be species specific in their hosts, others are more general. Unless you're living in South America in a region where tegus roam naturally, then it's a fairly safe bet we can go with the tapeworm being a general host infector, which means if you're not the strictest on hygiene, have direct contact with your tegu and/or areas where it defecates.....then there is a possibility you could harbor tapeworms too.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Hey there,

Thanks so much for your reply. The vet called again and informed me that it is in fact not a tapeworm, but hookworms. Apparently there was a mix-up when the vet-tech called the first time with the initial diagnosis. Dorian is still not eating on her own, and is still trying with no success to relieve herself. I'm now extremely worried, and am thinking that maybe there is a physical obstruction in her gut? When I took her in the first time, the vet didn't think her gut was overly dense, and couldn't feel any masses. Though Dorian looks a little bloated, this is supposedly due to the parasite issue? X-rays may be in her near future, perhaps?

Her enclosure environment is ideal; warm enough, humid enough, etc. I'm getting her out in the sun every day to bask for at least an hour. She is alert, and moderately active. I'm feeding her a carnivore recovery supplement powder, watered down, and with some banana, plum, strawberry, and mineral oil puree. She gets a warm soak once or twice daily in dechlorinated water, for an hour or more in the bath tub..

All I've got out of her was a strange tiiiny jelly-like poop the other day, that smelled exceptionally horrible. She's still turning down her favorite foods.

Is it just a waiting game for us at this point? I might try to give her more castor oil, it's been a week since I've tried that. I also will feel around her belly more extensively for masses again tonight. This whole ordeal is super stressful-- for both of us!

Dee-Dee Idrais

Do not be alarmed by the smell of the poop. It, in fact, does have very unpleasant smell and that is not unusual. I have personally never smelled anything more horrid then my tegu's poop. Did your vet prescribe some meds for the parasite issue?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do not be alarmed by the smell of the poop. It, in fact, does have very unpleasant smell and that is not unusual. I have personally never smelled anything more horrid then my tegu's poop. Did your vet prescribe some meds for the parasite issue?
That's right. Animal protein poop worse than herbivore poop.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Yes, tegu poop smells horrible. This is known, haha. Anywho, it looks like she's able to relieve herself a little bit now (as of yesterday). I'm so glad that this is working itself out finally. I was afraid I was going to see her slowly regress.

*sigh of relief for the both of us*

She was prescribed pyrantel for her worms. The first round of that was Friday-Sunday of last week. Next weekend will be her final round of it. I was told that this may be why she could still have a loss of appetite?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu