• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wahhhh, I'm freaking out over these eggs!!!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
These eggs were laid on 4/28 and I just don't think they are going to make it. They are on perlite/vermiculite at 86-88. Nothing is showing on candling but yellow and the medium keeps drying out on me. A few still look OK. Any thoughts?

Day 1
DSC06365.jpg

The best ones after cleaning and resetting in fresh medium:
DSC06442.jpg

The rest are like this:
DSC06443.jpg

DSC06444.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Laura, I hate to say it but they look infertile to me. When you made the mixture it needs to be 3 parts mix to one part water, also you need a lid to keep the moisture in. I use plastic shoe boxes with lids, otherwise it is very hard to keep the moisture in. Tegu eggs are laid firm if fertile, these look very dented, thus infertile. Were they firm when you took them out of the nest?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A few might have been fertile, but it is hard to say looking at this picture, these are the ones that might have been good:

Attachments

• DSC06365.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 17

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm thinking they are infertile as well. The top pic is pretty much right out of the nest. I actually have a picture of her nest.

I have lids, just took them off for the pic. ;)

Well, here's the story. The female is about 6-7yo, we think. She was wayy heavy with follicles when she copulated with the male. The male is 4yo and neither have bred before. My females hibernated, but the male has not. She laid eggs just 2 weeks after they mated which I thought was too early.

You can see that the eggs look dented even in her nest.

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06293.jpg

Sigh...I wanted to breed a clutch a tegus SO BADLY this year! I was so sick to my stomach last night when I saw those bad eggs. Well, I have another female that has mated and we'll see what happens with her. It's just a learning process and every little bit takes us further along the path, right?!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The time frame is fine, I have seen them lay between 10 days to 3 weeks after breeding. As for the male hibernating, I think that theory is a bunch of bunk about not being able to breed if not hibernated. There is just way too much proof that is not the case, Dave breeds his blues and they are fertile without hibernation. The Tupinambis Merianae are found along the Amazon river basin, the winters consist of extra rain during winter, I do not think they hibernate due to rain and the temps are still warm, yet they still reproduce.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
:( I'm so sorry to hear about the eggs. I was SO excited for you. I hope you have better luck with the other female. How did you keep the eggs warm ?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used a Hovabator while I was waiting for my digital incubator to arrive. I've used it for years incubate beardie and corn snake eggs and it does alright.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thank Laura for the info. I just asked because I'm doing some research on what I'm going to use when it's time to breed my Tegus. It's going to be a while until I do but it doesn't hurt to get all the infos together now. Other wise I would panic lol.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, I've been gathering info for a while as well. I've bred bearded dragons for about 7-8 years and corn snakes for about 4 years I guess. One tip...when you are ready to invest in a digital incubator, buy it early in the year because they sell out fast. :shock:

On a good note, I think I have 3 fertile eggs. One has a ring when candled. There are two or three others that look pretty good but are hard to see through right now. Keeping my fingers crossed!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im keeping my fingers crossed for you too! me and the gang are rooting for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980