• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

WANTED argus monitor

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Check fauna there is one that was hatched in November for $175 + shipping.

Here's the link
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252018

new2tegus

Those things are freakin huge lol. Between those and a black throat, I couldn't do it. All I know, is that I wouldn't want to take a hit off one of those.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I thought about getting the one in that listing, but I ended up getting 2 more Sphynx kittens.

new2tegus

I just want maybe, a couple of blood red beardies now, I just don't know what I'd do with a lizard that big, and oh noes, they are poisonous now lol. Either way, getting bit by one of those, not high on my priority list. Good luck with him and post some pics. Maybe if things don't work out with my gf I might be able to get one,but I think I'm gonna keep her.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
new2tegus said:
I just want maybe, a couple of blood red beardies now, I just don't know what I'd do with a lizard that big, and oh noes, they are poisonous now lol. Either way, getting bit by one of those, not high on my priority list. Good luck with him and post some pics. Maybe if things don't work out with my gf I might be able to get one,but I think I'm gonna keep her.

What do you mean you don't know what you would do with a lizard that big?? Don't you have or are getting a tegu?? And they aren't poisonous, they are venomous.

CrankbaitJedi

The word I use to describe Argus is 'intense'. Please oh please get that lizard dynamo some really deep substrate, I want you to experience the extreme earth moving these bady boys are capable of. My Argus never stopped, it was like he was on speed and never ran out of tweak. Absolutely amazing lizard. Congrats!!! Bottomless pit of an eater too. Sheesh.

Grendel

Here are some pics of the guy. The first two were not taken by me, but by his breeder.
As far as substrate, I do have a 40 gallon bin set up in his enclosure filled with earth for him to dig in. He seems to enjoy it a lot. He is very huffy and puffy when approached, and definitely "intense" is the right word to describe him.[attachment=2727][attachment=2728][attachment=2726]

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 10
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 9

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you post some pics of your setup with a description? I am really thinking of rehoming a couple of my lizards I have now and getting one of these.

Varanus K.Face

Awwww!!! I love it!!! They are really amazing lizards, I cannot get enough of the tripoding! Be prepared to be eaten out of house and home though, Freddy eats more than any animal I have ever had. He even tries to eat the bowl sometimes hahaha

James-Do it! They are so sick. Just try not to get bit cause their bite SUCKS to say the least. Not only super painful, but also razor sharp teeth and pretty potent too. Made me throw up, and my blood pressure got so low I passed out. Super icky....but not gonna lie....worth getting to work with my grumpy little butthole Freddy everyday! :)

Grendel

Here is a picture of the enclosure. It was supposedly custom built for a reticulated python. It is 6 x 4 x 4 ( I know it will need to be larger as the argus grows). It has two strip lights build in as well as two light fixtures which are on a timer. Additional basking lights can be placed (as the one in the picture) in the portioned off upper area. The monitor can not come in contact with the lights due to metal screen in between. I have a 40 gallon container with dirt inside for now. The decor is a work in progress (i just got this cage 4 days ago). My long term plan is to modify the cage by cutting a large opening in the bottom and placing the whole thing on top of a galvanized steel trough. I will also place a wooden lattice on all the walls for climbing. [attachment=2729][attachment=2730]

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not trying to be rude, but that cage needs lots if work to be suitable for an Argus. You need about 2' of dirt throughout. Is it possible to remove the bottom and build a 2' deep box with the same dimensions to put it on? What are your temps (basking, cool end)? What is your humidity? What are you feeding him?

Grendel

You are right about the substrate and digging, that's why I said I want to cut out the bottom and put it on top of a large trough filled with dirt. Right now he is 22 inches long. He has plenty of room to dig in the "dirt box". Basking temp is 125 with a
temp gun. Ambient temp 95 during day, 75-80 at night. Humidity 60-75% at all times.
I feed him mice, super worms, ground turkey, (roaches coming soon).

Draco D Tegu

james.w said:
new2tegus said:

What do you mean you don't know what you would do with a lizard that big?? Don't you have or are getting a tegu?? And they aren't poisonous, they are venomous.

I gotta agree with this comment, a Gu is going to get to be very large too, from what I read just as big, if not bigger than an argus (although I have no experience with the argus monitor). If you arent' sure what you'd do with a lizard that big, are you sure you're fully prepared to take on that tegu when he gets 4ft or more?

Not being argumentative, just commenting.

I did find this video. I REALLY HATE the way this guy is treating this lizard. He's 1) lucky he didn't get bitten and 2) has no respect for wildlife. There are better ways to have educational shows than disrespecting and harrassing a wild animal. I don't view it acceptable to ever suspend any animal by its tail, which is after all part of its spine! Since this thread is about Argus, I thought it would fit here as to what NOT to do.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/wild-recon-argus-monitor.html

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah i wanna smash that guys face in with a hammer but im still amassed with the tripoding thing.=D
do any other lizards do that? aside from the frilled and basilisk..

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Donald Schultz has probably forgotten more about monitors than most if us will ever know. Argus have a prehensile tail, which means they hang from it themselves, it won't hurt it at all to hold it this way. We are all lucky we aren't bitten when dealing with reptiles, how is this any different? He is a well respected person in the reptile world, so saying he doesn't have respect for wildlife is crazy talk. He might be a little extreme in the way he does things, but he has my respect.

Draco D Tegu

Whether it's "crazy talk" or not, Holding a reptile by the tail is one thing. Swinging it around by it is another. I've seen many animals with tail and spine injuries from handling like that.

Savannah monitors have a prehensile tail as well, but I certainly don't flip mine up in the air, or swing it from one hand to the other by its tail. Grabbing a wild animal OUT of the wild, much less chasing it down, flipping it around by its tail, setting it down so it thinks its loose just to pick it up again by its tailk, doesn't smack of having respect for the animal to me. Nor is it extreme, it's just plain disregard for the animal to me. He does not have MY respect. Nor do many of the other animal planet show hosts for that matter, but that's a different tangent all together.
frost said:
yeah i wanna smash that guys face in with a hammer but im still amassed with the tripoding thing.=D
do any other lizards do that? aside from the frilled and basilisk..

You know, I'm not sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980