• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Water/saliva coming out of B&W tegu

Boopadoop

I’m a newer tegu keeper, and I’ve done lots of research. I have a massive room with a corner dedicated to my new juvenile male Tegu. He can free roam where ever and whenever he pleases, but can go to his spot any time. But recently he’s been acting strange. He’s been CHUGGING water and then it comes out of his nose and/or mouth whenever he gets picked up or climbs. I have no idea what’s wrong with my care, because he has multiple hides, a digging/burrowing box, and a humid box hide. He has a 115° Basking spot and a heat pad under one of his hides. I make sure humidity is at least more than 60% along with a UVA/UVB source. So I have no idea what’s going on? I was going to talk to a vet but there’s only one in the town I live and he’s very expensive. I don’t have lots of money currently. Please, please help me

Sean32817

What are you feeding him as tegu are supposed to gain most of their water from their diet so if he's constantly drinking water, that might just be a diet issue?

Boopadoop

I often feed him turkey burger and dubia roaches. Sometimes he will eat some fruit like raspberries and strawberries, along with some kale but that’s rare. He loves his protein!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I haven't heard about this before, and am wondering if it's a phase. Clearly I don't know, but I'd be watching him closer to see if he's a swimmer, and just blows water back out or spits it out. My adult male very rarely goes into the water, so I'm hoping it's a juvenile thing that he's checking out.

One last thing - I read your post again - your bask temp of 115dg along with a heat mat could be just too much heat for it. Sounds like he can get away from it though, so - hard to tell. 115dg is for adults, not juveniles. Make sure he has a cool area he can go to, to reduce his heat. I would say 105dg is max for a juvenile....cool spot should be in the mid 70's. Thermal temp guns are great to determine what he needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980