• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weight Gain

SterlingAce

Hi all. What food can I feed my male red argentine tegu to help him pick up weight? Is mice the best? Or is there something better?

Thanks

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mice are good, and eggs. It depends on why he needs weight. Is he an adult that has a nutritional imbalance or a young, growing lizard that needs a bit of weight? Just like people, you want to stay with a balanced diet, just more of it. I have found that a balanced diet of meats and fruit works best for steady weight gain. That can include mice/rats, chicks, fish, shellfish, meat pieces supplemented with calcium, egg, papaya, mango, berries, melon.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That ^ ^ ^ and why does he need to pick up weight, for health reasons or because you want him to be bigger? When properly fed on a normal diet a healthy tegu will gain weight either way. Along with exercise not just fat but muscle mass as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu