• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What are your thoughts?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know that this is hibernation season and most tegus are sleep or just slowed down. Both of my tegus are are still up daily, now first i want to discuss achilles, he is up every morning. he comes out of his hide to bask usually a hour or two after the lights come on(7am) now he wasnt eating when i first got him,most likely due to him being in hibernation with bobby(varnyard) but now 3 wks later when i put him in his food bin he will eat a few bites of food then he wants to explore. he is up most of the time the lights are on. his temps are good at 106 basking 88 ambient and humidity 75% he is fed ground turkey/beef, chicken hearts/gizzards/breast, beef liver, and boild eggs. he lives in a 55 gal rubbermaid tub which measures 44"lx22"wx18" high then there is nero, now nero is different she sleeps most of the day. then comes out late in the evening to bask then look for food no. nero eats a lot, she can devour a 1lb. pack of ground turkey in one sitting.
her temps get a little higher than achilles her basking spot gets to 111 and the amient temp is usually 90 her humidity is lower usually staying between 50-60% che has a moist hide. i never have any problems with her shedding. she is free roam in a very small beroom thats set up for her. i have never had a reptile grow as fast as nero did she went from 10" on 8/11/09 to 43" today. i try to give my tegus the best care possible. i believe they are happy(exept achilles when being handled) what do you guys think of my care of my tegus do you think im doing any thing wrong? or need to add anything also i forgot they both have uvb, nero eats small rat 2 x a week, i havnt given achilles rodents yet and both are supplemented eith retical and reptivite. what are your thoughts?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
all sounds good but with all due respect i dont like animals living in storage boxes or containers. (no offense) i feed as much as my tegus will eat everyday. sometimes each will eat 6 mice or 10 mice 1 chick each or 3 chicks each. just depends on the hunger of the animal, some days my tegus dont eat at all.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i understand, i personally like the clear tubs, they are much cheaper than tanks and i keep my smaller reptiles in there, but only the small ones! but as for the tegu its just temp. til he gets older. i expect to be moving by febuary and then they will both get a custom cage together(when he gets big enough)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu