• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what did they do to this tortoise?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
That's horrible. Poor little guy. If I had to guess the species, I'd say it looks like a box turtle but it's so deformed I really can't tell. It may be kinder to adopt the animal and put it out of its misery humanely than to let it live in that state. Did the owner think tortoises normally look like that? Some people should be kept as far away form animals as possible.

turtlepunk

its just awful! some people just REALLY disgust me. and yes some people REALLY SHOULD be kept as far away from animals as possible.

Shadowgamer21

I agree with putting it down, the shell is just gonna get worse as it grows. It only takes a little kink in their shell for it grow in the wrong direction, which leads to pain and early death.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seldom do pictures of animals in pitiable condition surprise me.. This is one of those times I'm sad to say. It's a box turtle though the species is impossible for me to determine in THAT condition.. :mad:

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess it requires a bit more special care than the current owners are willing to admit... poor little guy...

About 20 miles from where I live a couple was arrested when their daughter was discovered dead from a bacterial infection that was not associated with the broken leg that had gone unattended for over a week...

Ignorance isn't bliss.........

turtlepunk

I e-mailed the poster to let them know that the tortoise is indeed extremely sick and that there isn't a whole lot that can be done for it besides putting it down. The damage looks to be irreversible.

Toby: wow thats awful! that poor girl.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I thought sulcata. I don't really want to pull the picture back up again, but it has a tan coloration with the dark borders along the edge and the elgs come out and down like a sully rather than a box turtle (box turtles are also darker).

Maybe I'm getting older or I'm around too many reptiles, but I'm starting to find that stuff like that really just disturbs me and haunts me all day. :( Is that weird?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From the top jaw i would say a box turtle. Man with a shell like that i can only imagin what the back bone would look like, let alone the internal organs. It really would be best to put it down. I was expecting to see some minor shell rot, some pyrimiding and maybe part of a missing jaw all not uncommon with tortises, but WOW that is just bad. This was a "grade school rescue" this is why class pets should not be somthing that requires a delicate balance of nurition and UV for growing, an adult turtle would have been a better choice... but things won't change.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
wow, iv seen some turtles in bad condition but this one is by far the worst.

got10

If i am correct that turtle shown is scooter, the box turtle from the long island turtle rescue group .I would truly hope that there are no more animals out there looking in such horrid shape.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
turtlepunk said:
I e-mailed the poster to let them know that the tortoise is indeed extremely sick and that there isn't a whole lot that can be done for it besides putting it down. The damage looks to be irreversible.

Toby: wow thats awful! that poor girl.

I sincerely hope they listen to your advice. Thank you for going out of your way and doing that. At least now maybe we can give that poor critter some peace.

got10

Nope , Thats not scooter . Its just another poor soul . That should never have been in an idiots control

turtlepunk

laurarfl said:
I thought sulcata. I don't really want to pull the picture back up again, but it has a tan coloration with the dark borders along the edge and the elgs come out and down like a sully rather than a box turtle (box turtles are also darker).

Maybe I'm getting older or I'm around too many reptiles, but I'm starting to find that stuff like that really just disturbs me and haunts me all day. :( Is that weird?

No its not weird at all, Im the exact same way. Stuff like this actually even puts me in a bad mood for awhile.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Looks like a 3 toe box turtle got mauled by a bear and deprived of calcium or EVERYTHING. Someone rescue him! Poor guy :(

look at the back feet, it can't be a sulcatta i don't think.

Draco D Tegu

Looks like a leopard to me. Definate MBD, Shell Rot, Broken rear limbs, bad beak. Poor thing needs to be euthanized. Did the OP ever write back to you?