• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what other sub-straight can i use with a caiman lizard

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
hey just wondering what other sub-straight can i use for a caiman lizard???
right now im using a layer of mulch,a layer of coco husk and a layer of moss.....what else can i use???? just want to change his sub-straight thats all....

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
The right mixture of sand and dirt, like monitor keepers sometimes use, supposedly holds humidity quite well if mixed properly.

Skeetzy

It does. I've posted this a lot now, but I was shocked at how well it kept my enclosure in the upper 80's even when I shut off my humidifier and stopped misting. Took me a week of flipping the substrate to get it down to normal levels. And I have 5 vents in my enclosure.

I'd suggest a 1/3 sand to dirt ratio.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes regular dirt and kids play sand. The mix is about 3-1, dirt-sand.

Skeetzy

Organic topsoil is what the dirt should say. No fertilizers or additives. Make sure to sift through it when dumping it in. I personally found a small shard of glass(wasn't sharp, but still shouldn't be there), and others have reported other bad things. And like he said, regular playsand.

If you're going to go to Lowes or home Depot, I suggest ordering it online for in store pick up, then call a half hour before going, and they'll have it waiting on a cart for you. Saves you one time of picking each bag up hahah.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me