• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What would be the best combination ?

Gedy

Spunky is just one year old, but I got curious from all the breeding post lately so I was wondering if I should try to breed with my gu, what kind of partner should I get him if I want to breed with him ?
This is for the far future, im not planning to do so right now.... I don't even know if Spunky is a he or she jet :p ! But when he is all mature and it feels right I would love to see him(or her) have baby's.
He is a B&w arg., but if I would like something different what would be a combination that is healty and pretty ?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its hard to say you have to considering what you want to produce, what spunky looks like and if possible what has his lineage produced, I want to produce high whites with a higher lever of white than black therefore ill be breeding my female(both parents high white b/w's and she has potential) to a high white blue, I should get some nice high whites from that pairing

Gedy

I like the high whites, but Spunky sure isn't like that. Is the white a dominant or recessive gene ?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
God, it's not even a gene. Just because you breed a blue to a high white doesn't mean you will get high whites. I won't get into this, but I suggest breeding it to a normal b&w, as in my opinion they only get less attractive as you cross them out, no matter the type.

larissalurid

Yea the person above is right, the two could have babies that look nothing like them basically. I don't really like the idea of how everyone is starting to cross now. I mean maybe a few type of mixes like there already are seems enough, but once you just start mixing all different ones around there's never going to be any purebreds left and the whole species will just become all mixed together without anyone knowing any true bloodlines. I'd just go with another B&W, find a nice pretty one with good structure and health is what I'd look at.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Yeah, look at a black and white X red breeding. They turn out looking brown. It's not like ball pythons, where if you breed an albino to an albino you get an albino. Low white blues can come from high white blue parents. Dark black and whites can come from high white black and white parents.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't get the logic in this ^ ^ ^ even if you bred albino x albino that doesn't mean all the babies will be albino. You can still have normal looking hets, there are no guarantees one way or another. B&W x B&W, Dominant or Co dominant genes, cross bred or not some will still look better than others and that's just personal preference.

As for mixing and there not being any true blood lines left. Most tegus are still imported so there's always fresh blood for now, and there are still quite a few breeders who don't cross breed and keep records.

Reptiles aren't like mammals where they can be health tested before breeding. So most people breed for looks and to enhance one thing over another mainly color and size.

The main issues as usual are human related, where people don't care and just do what ever while others support it. By that I mean supporting people who go into it with out keeping records, breed their animals to young and or in any condition with questionable motives and husbandry.

At the same time not every animal (just like people) should be bred, especially if it's just to see them have babies. That's why we have issues with over populated cats and dogs now.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't get the logic either, if you look at a blueXred some take on traits of both parent other make take on traits of only one of the parents, I don't want to be a breeder, however I would like to at least breed my tegus once maybe twice, like bubblz said most of the big breeders do not cross breed so I don't see how a few people doing hybrids is going to change the pure tegus, 99.9% of us don't know our tegus linage we don't know who their ancestors bred with in the wild so whois to say any tegus is pure?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah they do with some, but not all of their tegus are cross bred. Then you have places like LLL, Underground (some crosses) and Outback that breed and or have imports often.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
LLL doesn't breed they only import, Underground does breed but not on a huge scale, and Outback also only imports. So again there's 4 "big" breeders(Bobby, TeguTerra, Wil, Underground) and at least 3 of them do cross. I never said all of their stock is crossed but they DO cross. You said most of the big breeders don't cross.... So Reptastic, who are the "most" of the big breeders that don't cross breed?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What I mant is they keep their lines pure, bobby received a hybrid so he bred her to his giant, same with johnny, bobby has one female hybrid and decided to breed her too his giant, the rest of his lines are pure, idk much about johnny's line but I do recall him receiving a few hybrid tegus(underground I know nothing of them and I know wil dosent hybrid breed, as far as I know hybrid breeding isn't common, other than the blueXreds, I know others have been done but you don't see them too often

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I have seen Johnny selling quite a few redXb&w hybrids. I have seen Bobby selling his All American hybrids. He is making a mixed line so technically he is keeping his lines pure by making a separate mixed line? They are continuing to breed hybrids no matter which way you want to put it. Which is what I said. That they breed hybrids... I never said they breed only hybrids, just that they breed hybrids, which they do.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm didn't mean to say they don't breed hybrids, idk about johnny other than what I read, but with the all americans its only one pair a female blueXred and an extreme giant compared to x amount of b/w's, extremes and reds he has breeding, I wasn't reffering to your comment but the one made by larissalurid, my comment to you was 2 seperate tegus ie a blue breeding to a high white b/w may not produce a clutch were ALL the hatchlings are high white but there will be some, its genetics, some may take after mom, some dad some a grandparent or even a great grand parent and some may take after both, I don't see the problem with hybrid breeding tegus to create something uncommon as long as I'm not doing it just for money, sure that's nice but the bigest reward fo me is seeing the differences in the offspring created

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Those genetics are unpredictable when it comes to hybrids. And the problem is that you're going to get a very large amount of "uncommon tegus" which will go to people who will sell them to people who may forget the genetics and then sell to someone else who breeds the animal etc etc etc. And there goes pure bloodlines. Reptiles change hands frequently, and stuff like hybrid genetics can get lost or confused during those processes. With the high amount of hybrids out there already and the fact that many people are starting to attempt to breed hybrids ie you, this guy, and others who have posted about breeding their tegus to other types, it is quite possible that we will not be able to know for sure what we are getting when we get a tegu.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm sure I won't be the first or the last to breed hybrids, sometimes adding new blood the genepool is beneficial, like I stated before we don't know as is what's pure and what's not, hybrid breeding has occured in the wild I'm sure, as long as breeders who produces many clutches per year and keeps them pure , I forsee no damages to "pure bloodlines" in the future, most of what ever we produce(my 1/2 will mostly go to friends)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, albino x albino doesn't produce all albino babies in tegus? I'd like to learn more about this because genetics in general fascinate me! Is there more than 1 line of albino out there, maybe it's a compatibility issue? Are there known clutches of albino x albino(isolated breeding with no chance of another animal contributing) where it wasn't either all normal looking hets or all albino produced you can share? Maybe there are different lines of albino out there? I can imagine a scenario with 2 visuals of different, incompatible lines breeding that would produce a clutch of visuals and hets but only if 1 of the animals was also het for the other's albino type.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hmmmm....I'm missing something here. If you breed true albino parents, you will get only true albino offspring. The gene is recessive. Parents aa x aa put offspring that are aa. They can't give offspring that are Aa. It's impossible. There are various type of albinism which is why it is better to speak of specific type of amelanism, etc.

If you look at photos of albino tegus, they are quite different looking. The definition of albinism is "a lack of dark pigment so that the animal is white or pinkish with red or pinkish eyes". There are a lot of tegus labelled albino that just look hypomelanistic to me or perhaps missing another pigment color. They have dark eyes and the eyes look photoshopped a deeper red, and they are a purer white with maybe lighter dark markings (thinking of many albino blues). Then there are some that are the reddish colored albino with reddish eyes. That is the true amelanistic (lacking brown/black pigment). So perhaps there is a hypomel form that breeds and the expression of the gene shows some offspring that aren't different from normals, and an amel that breeds true amels? And the hypo x amel pairing wouldn't be exactly the same

Just a thought

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
[size=small]There are different types, of albinism Ty neg (lacking pigment) and Ty pos (some pigment) and each one affects the body differently. Generally speaking if the parents carry the same type (are visual albinos) then yes all the babies will be albinos. If not then you'll still get hets and or different types of visuals but not all are compatible.

When ever I think of albinos and how it varies I think of Blood and Ball pythons. Like cherry bombs or just yellow albino bloods then with Ball python albinos there's HC, lavenders and paradoxs.
[/size]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980