• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whats so fun with ninja turtles?

boygenius

5 Year Member
Not to offend anyone but I was just curious in what made people get turtles and tortoises..

They don't seem so active to me or as enjoyable as other pets and was wanting to see what made people get them, why them like them and such..

If this thread incinerates into a fire storm so be it but i would like to get in the minds of those turtle and tortoise owners and know more.

More knowledge is a good thing.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Iv owned turtles in the past....but i would fine them in my back yard (my dogs would find them and sit there and bark at them)..
but uh..i dont think i can help you out much..

dorton

5 Year Member
I don't know if you have had fish in the past, but like fish, with turtles I found watching them very peaceful, and relaxing.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with stess, and everyday life. For me, nothing is more relaxing than watching god's(or who/whatever anyone worships)creatures who have not a care in the world do their thing. Its great.

Having said that, at this time I have no turtles, or torts, but will by the end of this year.

Later
Justin

playlboi

5 Year Member
dorton said:
I don't know if you have had fish in the past, but like fish, with turtles I found watching them very peaceful, and relaxing.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with stess, and everyday life. For me, nothing is more relaxing than watching god's(or who/whatever anyone worships)creatures who have not a care in the world do their thing. Its great.

Having said that, at this time I have no turtles, or torts, but will by the end of this year.

Later
Justin

i totally agree with the fish thing. they are the perfect stress relievers. but i can't agree with the turtle because i have never owned one. but i can see the similarities

boygenius

5 Year Member
dorton said:

Later
Justin

cool, i never thought of it like that

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Turtles are quite fun and intelligent creatures. torotises are just awesome to look at, theyre ancient creatures.

nat

5 Year Member
I have four torts and they are my favorite of all of the reptiles. They are very social with me, follow me around when they are out, are super gentle (so I can take them to many educational functions), are easy to care for, are great display animal and are just neat creatures! I don't think they are the animal for everyone but Mona my sulcata and my redfoot clementine have more personalty then most people ha ha. The other two have wonderful personalities to but are more on the shy side lol

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Tortoises are peace. Dorton spelled it out correctly, ancient majestic creatures that relax you, interest you, and are beautiful to see. I hate fish which might make someone mad (sorry), and I hate birds (phobia...) but turts and torts are really something to behold.

playlboi

5 Year Member
fish aren't really all that bad. they are high maintenance though. that's the only downside about fish.

and birds, they are cool to look at. keeping them is another thing. my dad had some birds, hated the blasted things. they were loud and cleaning up after them was a b*tch

boygenius

5 Year Member
The more I look at turtles and tortoises and read your guys' input, I kind of want some turtles and maybe do a set up with turtles and maybe a few cohabitants (crested gecko?, frogs?).

I'm interested in the calming aesthetic that you guys mention.

Tortoises look awesome as hatchlings but they grow too big for me.

maddogg9019

5 Year Member
I don't know much about them either but Greeks, Russians, hermans, and red foots (though a little larger then the others) are all good choices as long as they are captive bred. Someone can give you better info than I can so I'll hold off. I too used to wonder why people like torts until I saw a beautiful, personable sulcutta at a reptile show and fell in love lol. :lol:

blackforces get you

5 Year Member
the 1st time my dad introduced me to animals i went wild over them. wen my dad bought a turtle i went crazy and i studied them. soon after my obsession with turtles took me over the limit and i ahd to make sure i got what it needed. trust me since they live a long time ill have a turtle untill im maybe 25 or somthing. since they know you over time you can let them free in your house and they can b like your dog or somthing. thats what im doing with my turtle now shes not use to me yet but she is getting attached to me. my baby 2 inch got very attached to me after a year or so. anytime iw alk up tot he tank he would swim up to ti and scratch the glass and anytime it showed hunger he would look upward showing me that he was hungry. after the 5 inch moved into the tank he obsessed over her and now im not in his world no more :cry: :cry: . yet when they get bigger.............he he he. nothing bad just a little kinky lol jus take it like this. the 2 inch is a male and the 5 inch is a female. it might take a while to know what im getting at but youll know if you keep reading it :stthpo :stthpo :stthpo :stthpo

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
i've had turdy my red eared slider since i was 9 years old. i'm 23 now!

water turtles are very high maintenence poop machines. thats how turdy got his name.
i've lost myself hundreds of times staring into turdy's tank while he swoops and dives scrapes and plops, splishis and splashes, and tickles his reflection in the glass with his kruger nails. (A mating age thing) turdy has personality. it just revolves around a single facet of the universe. food. what can be eaten, what can be chewed on. and how something faster than him can be caught. thats it.

hell, he's been trying to get a bite of me for a good 14 years now.

the only exception too this rule is a fireball oscar that he has lived with for a year now. despite all previously valid logic, they are buddies.

even though he loves eating bluegill, and they are like the same dang fish as an oscar.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
I guess turtles can seem quite dull to some people. My Alligator snapper while literally go a week without moving and inch. He'll sit still for so long that weeds will grow on the back of his shell (which looks amazing by the way).

Once a fish or something else to eat enters his tank though its a whole different story. He loves both to abush and chase prey (I wouldn't feed reptiles live prey but do feed Sid live fish as i know they cant hurt him and it really does keep him entertained.) and will spend hours watching a spot where he knows a fish is hiding. I must admit, I also like the fact that he is totally untameable. He will not bond in any way and is still looking for that golden day when he can take a finger or two from me! It keeps me on my toes around him!

As a side note, Sid had one feeder fish that he couldn't catch for a whole week. He killed all the others but this smaller one was both too quick and great at hiding. After a week i felt so proud of that fish that I brought him his own aquarium. He is now called "Champion the wonder fish" and is very happy in his permant home :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029