• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whats wrong with garys face???!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He was fine last night, this is what he looks like now..
I use MVB(up to date), calcium, vitamins, etc. Basking @ 105.
I'm on my way to my orthopedist but if you have any q's feel free to ask and I'll reply when I can.
Nothing like this was visible last night. He looks like he had a stroke or something. :s:-/:huh:
[attachment=2787]

Vet is open until 6 if need be.

Attachments

• DSCN0628.JPG
    DSCN0628.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 53

Kebechet

I'd say vet, if it doesn't fix itself by the time you get back from your ortho. :/ I've seen similar in younger tegus with MBD, but the fact that it literally seems to have happened over night is bizarre, and while I'd personally go a little hotter on the basking area (5-10 degrees more, but that's just me. I do think your setup is good from everything I've seen/heard here) that shouldn't affect UVB output or anything like that. Have you measured the UVB output of the bulb? Maybe you have a dud?

TheTeguGurl

Is his jaw at all really soft? i have seen Tegus with this it is a sign of MBD. I would get him into a vet and have them check him out. I would also look to make sure he doesn't have a piece of mulch the got stuck in his mouth and could have infected the area

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A Vet visit may be in order as well as reevaluate husbandry,.. raising the temps, check the bulbs as well as placement. How much calcium they're actually getting,.. since 2 of them are housed together. Are they fed together as well?

Or when you make their food if you prepare it all at once and then separate it,.. how much calcium are you actually adding? Because it may not be enough between the three of them. Unless you separate the food then add different or a certain amount of calcium to each one after wards.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No mulch or anything that I saw. His jaw doesn't feel soft, I pushed a little bit on that too before I left. He let me know he wasn't happy about It. He was eating fine yesterday, I thought maybe rango bit him but no bite marks. Its just like saggy skin hanging there. I'm omw home, ill check him again and see what's up. I've never seen that befoe its weird. He didn't seem to be in pain or have any mobility changes. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it its just creepy.
I thought about mbd but I don't think it would turn to that over night. It seems more gradual.
Ill check him out again and let you know. I haven't seen it with my other tegus before. Maybe he's just got funky skin or a funky jaw?

They're fed separatley. Given the chance I'm sure gary would take rangos food. I don't have a specific amount of calcium w/o d3 I use, I just sort of dust all meals but whole prey and mix it up. I do each one separatley, I try to give them some kind of fruit every day and since rango is picky that's how I've always done it. Bulb is about 8 inches from them, its about 3 months old. I bougt it new when I got gary and rango.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MBD, Calcium Deficiencies and most other issues are usually gradual especially in animals. There are subtle signs or you may not see signs until its getting to be or is a serious issue to where it's irreversible.

On top of that animals usually don't show weaknesses,.. so early on they seem okay but can change over night or in an instant.

How often do they get outside,.. and do you have any chicken necks or backs you can give him for now?

Piercedcub32

Again, I echo the see a vet asap if not resolved. But, it appears to be an inflammatory reaction, I would make sure there is nothing stuck between teeth or to make sure nothing is impaled in his gum line. Also if possible check the teeth to make sure non look infected or broken off by the gum line.

entropy

Oh man, definitely looks like an inflammation of some kind. Sorry, haven't see anything quite like this before. Does his teeth look ok from that side of his lip? Could he have broken one?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've seen it, but don't know what causes it. Is he sort of heavy? I've heard one theory that is caused by fatty deposits.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
His face is fine now. Everything is aligned and where it should be. When I left he looked like he does in the picture. A couple hours later he's fine. I took him out and tried to look closer. Still no sign if injury. No swelling. Nice firm jaw. I couldnt really get a look inside his mouth but from what I saw, it was fine too. He looks like it never happened...

He ate 3 asf rats, no problem. I spaced it out a little so I could see how he was before, during and after eating. No issues there.

Laura, he's not over weight. If anything he could gain a bit more. He's around 4.5lbs and roughly 38 inches. He's the lightest and shortest of the three.

I'm still thinking he might be better off going to the vet just in case? He went when I got him in april and got a clean bill of health. Its just weird, I haven't seen or heard anything about this before.

Bubblz, they go outside 2 or 3 times a week as the weather alows. Usually its for at least a half hour while I do more thurough cage cleaning, glass cleaning, etc. I don't have any but ill look for some necks tomorrow. Usually I find turkey necks, would those be any better or worse? I've got some beef liver as well.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad to here he's better,.. I don't remember if it was this site or the other one but similar pics have been posted before. But what causes it hasn't been determined.

Turkey, chicken necks, or back are okay either way. I just mentioned the backs as another option, because I brought some shortly after I got Natsuki. The store by my house didn't have necks,.. I didn't ask if they carried it and didn't feel like driving some where else. They had backs so I got that,.. it's the same as neck just with more bones and a little more meat because of the chest and scapula's.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think there might be an asian market nearby that has more of the random parts than a regular grocery store would carry, ill check there too.
I'm glad he looks better but I'm worried there could still be something else that's wrong. thank you btw to everyone for their suggestions, advise and kind words.

To me it just doesn't seem normal or natrual

Kebechet

I've discovered that you can sometimes get chicken necks at places that sell raw dogfood brands. There's a place called the Hip Hound, on 23rd in Portland that I go to, to get my chicken necks.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad he is doing better, i hope its nothong major

fisheric said:
Glad he is okay
[size=large][/size][size=xx-small]
Why would chicken necks help?

Chicken necks contain bones wich is the best source of calcium, tegus need the calcium to maintain strong bones[/size]

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff