• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Where To Put The Cage

carcharios

5 Year Member
Planning on building a cage this weekend and I was debating putting in our garage due to the size of the structure. However, the garage goes down to the low 50's and upper 40's in the winter. Would this be ok if they're hibernating? If not, would a heat pad help? I asked a while ago on a different post what temp is the low range in their native Argentina but no one ever responded. I read somewhere that they experience snow in the colder regions from which they come.

Carcharios

artist

5 Year Member
sounds like a good idea, but you probably would need a heat pad- not sure about that though, correct me if i am wrong?
i think that your tegu would appreciate the fresh air and sunshine. what are the dimensions you are planning to build?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I have two tegus - an adopted female that is probably 2 feet with the tail and a smaller tegu that is probably about 13''. I would like to house them together but first I want the smaller of the two to catch up with my female. Regardless, I am building the cage with the idea of eventually housing both together. I was thinking about building a cage about 7 1/2 feet long by 3 1/2 feet deep and 2 1/2 feet high.

Realistically, I was thinking about letting our larger female have her roam of the florida room, which gets direct sunlight and has a concrete floor. She'd be in there most of the summer months when she's not hibernating. The only issue is making sure to remove any plants that are toxic and making sure that the daytime highs aren't too hot for her because they sometimes approach the mid 90's when it's extremely hot outside. At night, it cools down about 10 degrees or so.

Carcharios

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu