• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

winter temps for blues

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is a good temp to maintain at night? I let the black and whites drop to mid 60's and they have done fine. Rango doesnt even burrow when it gets cooler, he still sleeps out in the open. Guru makes a little fortress and pushes mulch around the sides of his hide. The hybrid tipped an old water dish over and sleeps under that. I dont want him to get sick since im told he wasnt cold tolerant..

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have tried putting a heater in my blues cage at winter and he avoids it. Last night my power went out and his cage dropped to 55. I was worried about him but he was all curled up in his box and seemed upset I woke him up. With little tegus though its always best to keep one area warm, I would say above 65 for night time temps along with some deep mulch.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok. He seems fine so far and I'm almost positive the temps have dipped down to mid-60's already. I'll add some more mulch. I know hes pushed some under the little tub where he's been sleeping. Was it you who has a bigger blue? My guy has some red and those are cold tolerant, I'm just not sure how he'll do. I think hes still in the sub-adult range at 2 years old. He's just shy of 3.5' and 8lbs.Thank you!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ya my tegu is about 4 feet long and last time i weighted him he was around 12lbs, I try and keep him on the leaner side. Right now I have no night time heat on him, I just added some extra mulch and moss to his hide box to allow him to go in there. The temp two nights ago hit really low, almost set an October record. Outside it was about 45f and Boscos cage got down to 50f. He was up the next morning moving around just. Becuase of the time of year he is still eating which can be dangerous with low temps. I'm thinking of putting the heat mat in there for him and letting him have another month to gain some more weight and then cool him down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029