• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

wont settle down!

thestem07

5 Year Member
I just built a new enclosure for my B&W and put him in it, he has multiple hiding spots, including his old favorite one (a plate I put in his old enclosure as a basking spot) and has been in the new enclosure for around 4-5 hours and has not stopped roaming around and looking like he wants out. He is trying to climb up the walls, walking around really fast and just not settling down at all. I understand its a new environment for him and its natural for him to feel a little unsafe, but he never did that when I first brought him home or when I put him in a new tank previously.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their tegus just not settling into their new homes?

Could it just be to much has changed all at once? I changed substrate as he was eating the cypris mulch. Could the difference in texture of the new substrate be adding to the problem?

Any suggestions or hints to making it better for the little guy?

Thanks!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sometimes the jump from a small tank to a large enclouser can be exciting to a young tegu who is still small (in their minds to us they are getting big). I know when i first got my tegu i was told to move him from the 40 gallon breeder to his larger cage but to section off part of the cage and gradually extend the space. Well he knocked down the divider when he freaked out. I ended up covering the glass for a day and after two days he was settled down.

I've herd a few people having to re-handle their tegus becuase they became bitey afterward. But your tegu is displaying normal adjustment behavior.

thestem07

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. He has settled down, shortly after his lights went out he fell asleep. I think he is all good with it now cause when I got home from work he was where he used to always be under the plate passed out.
Thanks again. I should have tried the divider that may have helped.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad to hear he settled down, it can be worrying to see these little guys freak out when we put so much time into them. My tegus are part of the family, with Basco even being allowed in the holiday picture this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu