• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

wood toxic ?

jjollie

5 Year Member
does anyone know if red wood is toxic to tegus ? cause I would like to use some in my tegus enclosure or oak would work to if it's not toxic to them.

mr.king

5 Year Member
I'm almost positive that red wood isn't toxic as long as its not pine or cedar I'm pretty sure u can use it.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
yea, theres a guy here who swears by it. says his tegu loves it.

i still can't bring myself to try it. it's on all the toxic plants lists it's a conifer and an evergreen. too close to pine

jumanji

5 Year Member
I think that Reptibark is redwood. I live in Colorado and Cypress is hard to find. I have used redwood and know others who use it. I have never heard any one say it is dangerous but I hate taking chances! I have to drive about an hour and a half for cypress but its worth the drive.

jumanji

5 Year Member
Are they expensive, Pro Exotics sells it and they are tuff on your wallet!!! There is a hardware store in bolder that sells big bags for a good price.

jumanji

5 Year Member
Thanx, Thats not to bad a price. I think the last time I got it in Boulder it was like $12.00 a bag. It was a while ago.

tegusaurus

5 Year Member
ierowe said:
Does anyone know if you can use fir as a subsrtrate? if so what size?

Thanks

douglas fir bark? I use it. This site's caresheet even recommends reptibark, which is actually fir bark.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- m -->

I, however, prefer to use Zilla's fir bark. I heard too many things about other barks and mite problems that I'll just stick with this one. Bark helps with humidity, as do other substrates but on top of it all, I like how it looks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029