• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

wood

j.sawyer48

wat kind of wood did u guys use and think is the best for a home made enclosure and wat sealer did u use for the wood?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Oh we'll. My frame i know for a fact will not mold, the only piece untreated is the bottom, i just didn't care enough to seal an enclosure i will only be using for another 4 or 5 months.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:
Oh we'll. My frame i know for a fact will not mold, the only piece untreated is the bottom, i just didn't care enough to seal an enclosure i will only be using for another 4 or 5 months.

I would have sealed it because what if you decide to use it again or try to sell it. A sealed cage will sell a lot easier than one that is not.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Glad to know :).

And good point james, with all the reptiles i have and plan to get an extra 4x2 would be good. I planned to just trash it. So know i'm thinking of sealing it, first i have to find somewhere to hold my tegu for a few days though. I could maybe try tomorrow if the hardware store decides to stay open for a few hrs in the am (which i doubt).

Would 4days be enough time to let things dry and air out?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
4 days would be cutting it a little close, if possible buy another piece of wood for the bottom and seal it. Once it is ready just switch out the unsealed piece with the sealed one.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
james.w said:
4 days would be cutting it a little close, if possible buy another piece of wood for the bottom and seal it. Once it is ready just switch out the unsealed piece with the sealed one.

Alright i'll do that then, no other choice unless i buy a bin to house him in for the time being.

spark678

how about buy stick on tiles? I was actually thinking about doing this because my used enclosure has a slight crack in the wood. For 9 bucks I got a bunch of them at the dollar store but they werent really sticky. I think they were old because the ones they had left were discounted and the boxes were torn up. Im going to go to home depot tomorrow and pick some up.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
spark678 said:
how about buy stick on tiles? I was actually thinking about doing this because my used enclosure has a slight crack in the wood. For 9 bucks I got a bunch of them at the dollar store but they werent really sticky. I think they were old because the ones they had left were discounted and the boxes were torn up. Im going to go to home depot tomorrow and pick some up.

Unless you silicone in between every tile and around the edges, it won't be sealed.

j.sawyer48

james.w said:
Strange_Evil said:

I would have sealed it because what if you decide to use it again or try to sell it. A sealed cage will sell a lot easier than one that is not.

[/quote
alil off track but how do you keep ur gizzard and hearts in the freezer or fridg? Do they go badd easy?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I assume you would just freeze them like any other meat. Can last around 7months i think depending on how you store it.

Also if my tegu does hibernate, i plan to use a hibernation bin, and that being the case i will just seal the enclosure while he is out.

jdpFL

Jsawyer...when we buy our ground turkey, chicken necks, etc...we prepare little single serving bags, with supplements and all, and toss them in the freezer. To thaw just put in a bowl of hot water for about fifteen minutes. Easy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu