• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

would 100% humidity be bad?

Neeko

I was thinking of a cool crazy way to add humidity to my enclosure, but it be around 100%. I'd use a screen top may cover it a bit so im not sure how much would escape or be in there.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Without your screen top completely covered you won't get 100% humidity. What is your idea?? I'm not sure what negatives it would have, but I don't think it would be good to have constant 100% humidity.

Neeko

I'd keep my on top of a water bed with aquarium heaters. Id have water then some type of screen( so the substrate doesn't fall throigh), substrate decor and tegus on top. I like to be creative and make stuff. Though it be nice under heat and provide good humidity. I could even seal the layer that's keeping the substrate from the water and only have the evaporation come out on the perimeter instead of through all the substrate. I'm sure there's fungus issues and and all and i might make a small scale model, but i think it be cool.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Not sure i understand your description but I just wanted to add too much humidity is just as bad as not enough.

Dereks-Dragons

Neeko... Your idea has kinda been done lol. I did this type of thing with my darts. I used what are called hydroballs and had like 3 inches of water and hydroballs, a screen that graded down in one corner to maka a pond then my substrate so it looked all natural with a pond and waterfall and such, I get creative as well lol

Neeko

well im glad its been done less logisitcs for me. Would it be suitable for a tegu though? I know they like to burrow. Have any blue prints?

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Here's the thing, you can probably do it but I wouldn't oversimplify the enclosure. Tegus grow incredibly fast and he won't be in that enclosure whatever size you are starting out with for long. Also as he grows he may burrow down right into the substrate and do some damage. Tegus are incredibly strong.

Dirtydmc

Bridges pets does that in some of their tanks. Use a waterfall too. It works great. Was planning on doing that for my tanks.

Put down a layer of hydro beads, cover with mesh screen, and substrate over that.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like previously stated 100% humidity = too much humidity for long periods of time is just as bad as not enough humidity. Causing Respiratory, skin and scale issues from the moisture, mold and mildew. Tegus are Tropical animals,.. but not Rain Forest Tropical.

herpgirl2510

that kind of set up is not for tegus that is what people do when they have planted tanks like a pygmy chameleon or a frog terrarium. Tegus would tear it up.

Dirtydmc

herpgirl2510 said:
that kind of set up is not for tegus that is what people do when they have planted tanks like a pygmy chameleon or a frog terrarium. Tegus would mtear it up.

For real! Dozer is a digging beast. He goes under like he's diving in water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980