• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Yet another feeding question

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello all!

You guys have been very helpfull so far. I have been making slow improvements with my goo. I think, lol.

Here is my question. I just got a seprate bin to feed her in, so I dont have to feed her in her cage anymore. I take her out and place her in the bin, with some yummy food. But she wont eat. She looks around, crawls a little bit lookig for an exit, and then just gives up and lays on the ground and goes to sleep.

Been going on for 3 days now. Should I keep trying? How long should I leave her in the feeding bin? I dont want her to starve, I know she is hungry, she looks all over her cage for food.

Dirtydmc

Mine hate the bin too. Some say to put them in a tank with paper on the bottom. I just feed in the enclosure. But they never see me put it in. It's waiting for them before they wake up.

And I'm constantly in their home messing with things.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
But its crickets, and they dont exactly stay in the food bowl. Wont that trigger a hunter responce?

Ive tried eggs, banana, turkey, the only thing so far that she will eat is crickets.

Dirtydmc

People are undecided on gu's getting the hunt on from feeding bugs. There's plenty of folks that feed live rats and whatnot to their tegus. Honestly, I believe that a tegu will make his own mind up if he is going to act like an *******. It's a wild animal. My cats hunt, my snakes only eat live prey. They are fine. But some will disagree. Most just worry about a rat biting their baby.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Im not sure, isnt it a bit early to hibernate? I put her back in her cage and fed her some crickets. She ate like 20 of them. She must have been starving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu