• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Young B&W not eating

Devin McBride

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, please let me know and I will move it.

Picked up a red female about 2 months ago, she's fantastic. The store I got her from also had a black and white in the same enclosure. Since bringing the red, Rowdie, home, the other had found its way home and returned from 2 different homes and was rather aggressive at the store. He, Donny, was given to me by the owner since she couldn't sell him.

I brought him home last Friday, he is housed in a 75 gallon tank that has 3 sides tiled, on 4-5" inches of cypress with sand and moss mixed in, he has access to a 100 ounce water dish, wood hides and a fake tree limb to climb up next to his basking light. He has a day buln, night bulb, two ir heat bulbs and uvb. Basking spot is at 115° F, ambient is low 90's, high 80's. With misting twice a day, humidity fluctuates between 50 and 80%.

However, he is not eating. Last meal apparently was about 9 days ago, a rat pup.

I have tried;
Boiled egg with cook yolk
Egg whites cooked with raw yolk
Ground turkey
Beef tips
Chile
Silversides
Cod
Trout
Shrimp
Crab
Rats dead and alive
Dubia
Green beans
Squash
Grapes
Blueberries
Mango

He shows 0 interest in any of it. I know stress is a most likely scenario, but his stomach looks concave, and his tail is hour glassed at the base which is making me nervous.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what I could try next? Any are welcome, thanks I'm advance.

-Devin

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First, lower the cool side to mid to upper 70s F. Make sure he has a hide on the cool side.

They are sensitive about change in routine and may go a week without eating until settled in. If he otherwise looks good- active, clear-eyed, not skinny, especially near waist, tail, and thighs- don't worry.

Good luck and please post pics of both.

snibborsirk

How big is your B&W? If he's still relatively young, crickets are always a good option to get them feeding. Most tegus can't resist a cricket crawling by them! I see you've tried eggs - I've always had great luck with scrambled egg yolks that are a little runny. Banana is also a common first fruit for them to eat. Good luck and keep us posted - and def post some pics!

Devin McBride

I need to get some pictures, that's for sure. But update on Donny the black and white, he still isn't eating. He's defecated a few times, soaked and drank water, but hasn't consumed anything. I repositioned the lights giving him more of a cool side where he spends the majority of his time. Maybe he's still in hibernation mode?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu