• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Your Tegu's Food Schedule

Rivershark

5 Year Member
I don't have a real strict schedule of what my tegu eats. He'll get a couple mice every week, along with fruit, boiled eggs, ground turkey and whatever kind of insect I have on hand. Feeding days are monday, wednesday, friday and sat or sun. He'll eye our bunny every now and then but I think he just likes to hide behind her cage.

A few days ago when I had him out around the house he suddenly zeroed in on something real fast and snatched up an alligator lizard that had somehow found its way in. Little guy didn't know what hit him! So cool.

Nero

5 Year Member
My columbian will only eat rodents nothing else. Hes really calmed down a lot on his agression when I feed him. I wish he would eat other things.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
My columbian will only eat rodents nothing else. Hes really calmed down a lot on his agression when I feed him. I wish he would eat other things.

my colombian was exactly the same way for the first year. worked her way up from fuzzies to large mice. then she started only eating the heads and the stuff inside. in the meantime, she got my daughters parakeet. now, she will turn her head and close her eyes if you offer her a rodent. became picky after the first year.

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
Nero said:

well thats what colombians diet consist of is just meat i have not heard of anybody having a colombian who ate anything else besides that

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
Nero said:

my colombian was exactly the same way for the first year. worked her way up from fuzzies to large mice. then she started only eating the heads and the stuff inside. in the meantime, she got my daughters parakeet. now, she will turn her head and close her eyes if you offer her a rodent. became picky after the first year.

how big are your tegus angelrose???

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
how big are your tegus angelrose???

my colombian is an easy 3 ft. and is getting ready to shed again.(with me 3+ yrs now).
my male arg. is 2 1/2 ft. and my fem. arg. is a little over 1 1/2 ft. and I only had my args. since Feb. of this year and they are catching up with my colombian.

how many and what kind of tegus do you have ?

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
my colombian is an easy 3 ft. and is getting ready to shed again.(with me 3+ yrs now).
my male arg. is 2 1/2 ft. and my fem. arg. is a little over 1 1/2 ft. and I only had my args. since Feb. of this year and they are catching up with my colombian.

how many and what kind of tegus do you have ?
I have a male and female arg. that are both about almost 2 feet and I had a hybrid male that was about a foot give or take that I recently adopted to Lexi. I also put a deposit down for an arg. tegu from bobby on the clutch that is expected the end of this month but I was thinking of switching it for a chacoan but I don't know what to do angelrose.

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
I have a male and female arg. that are both about almost 2 feet and I had a hybrid male that was about a foot give or take that I recently adopted to Lexi. I also put a deposit down for an arg. tegu from bobby on the clutch that is expected the end of this month but I was thinking of switching it for a chacoan but I don't know what to do angelrose.

I remember the red and blue hybrid pics. he is a very good looking tegu, definitely, eye catching. I was tempted myself.
great ! Bobby has the best hot looking tegus (the colors). I just got a brazillian rainbow boa from Bobby and she's gorgeous.
If I had alot more space and money for what would be an extremely large appetite then without doubt I would have a chacoan in a heartbeat.

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I remember the red and blue hybrid pics. he is a very good looking tegu, definitely, eye catching. I was tempted myself.
great ! Bobby has the best hot looking tegus (the colors). I just got a brazillian rainbow boa from Bobby and she's gorgeous.
If I had alot more space and money for what would be an extremely large appetite then without doubt I would have a chacoan in a heartbeat.
Yea I'm thinking of getting the chacoan but then ill have to downsize on my tegus or even just have the chacoan only and nothing else. I don't know what to do should I go for it and just build a massive enclosure

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rivershark said:
I don't have a real strict schedule of what my tegu eats. He'll get a couple mice every week, along with fruit, boiled eggs, ground turkey and whatever kind of insect I have on hand. Feeding days are monday, wednesday, friday and sat or sun. He'll eye our bunny every now and then but I think he just likes to hide behind her cage.

A few days ago when I had him out around the house he suddenly zeroed in on something real fast and snatched up an alligator lizard that had somehow found its way in. Little guy didn't know what hit him! So cool.

I had my male do the same exact thing, but with a fence lizard.

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
Yea I'm thinking of getting the chacoan but then ill have to downsize on my tegus or even just have the chacoan only and nothing else. I don't know what to do should I go for it and just build a massive enclosure

ohhh ! since you put it that way; instead of having just one very big tegu imo I would get a variety of different tegus. they all have their different and funny personalities that keep you entertained (and busy ...lol).

maybe it's just me but just tonight I placed my 2 args and my colombian in the same big enclosure I just built. their all about the same size now and they interact when they are out roaming around. I don't think it will work permanently because of the hibernation tho'.

I will get two more tegus that I have had my eyes on. then I want to mean it when I say 'no more' ...lol.

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
ohhh ! since you put it that way; instead of having just one very big tegu imo I would get a variety of different tegus. they all have their different and funny personalities that keep you entertained (and busy ...lol).

maybe it's just me but just tonight I placed my 2 args and my colombian in the same big enclosure I just built. their all about the same size now and they interact when they are out roaming around. I don't think it will work permanently because of the hibernation tho'.

I will get two more tegus that I have had my eyes on. then I want to mean it when I say 'no more' ...lol.
Yea I would love to have a variety but that would mean more time that I would have to put in and that's more time I don't have. But I was thinking of getting the chacoan what the heck ill just have to make time for all but we'll see how it turns out. Would you get the chacoan angelrose

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
Yea I would love to have a variety but that would mean more time that I would have to put in and that's more time I don't have. But I was thinking of getting the chacoan what the heck ill just have to make time for all but we'll see how it turns out. Would you get the chacoan angelrose

do you have any helpers ? just asking because my daughters help me and have fun flipping the mulch (sometimes).
you can house them all together. but if you don't have the time it is certainly easier to chase down and clean after just one very big one.
variety is fun and alot of hard work. I think if I knew Bobby and about the chacoans a long time ago I would be plenty happy and proud to have and show one of those big babies. the chacoan.

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
do you have any helpers ? just asking because my daughters help me and have fun flipping the mulch (sometimes).
you can house them all together. but if you don't have the time it is certainly easier to chase down and clean after just one very big one.
variety is fun and alot of hard work. I think if I knew Bobby and about the chacoans a long time ago I would be plenty happy and proud to have and show one of those big babies. the chacoan.
no i wish i did my daughters are too young my oldest is only gonna be 3 and my youngest just turned 1. i will give it some thought on what im gonna do if ill down size my current tegus and just stick with the chacoan. we'll see what happens ill keep you updated.

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
no i wish i did my daughters are too young my oldest is only gonna be 3 and my youngest just turned 1. i will give it some thought on what im gonna do if ill down size my current tegus and just stick with the chacoan. we'll see what happens ill keep you updated.

I was looking and wanted a chacoan before we even started talking about it. I think they are so wondrous. but, I don't want to get in over my head and therefore the others being neglected. when you were giving the red/blue male up for adoption I could tell you are a very caring and careful person so I am really interested in what and how you decide.

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I was looking and wanted a chacoan before we even started talking about it. I think they are so wondrous. but, I don't want to get in over my head and therefore the others being neglected. when you were giving the red/blue male up for adoption I could tell you are a very caring and careful person so I am really interested in what and how you decide.
Yea well I've always been like that I get so attached to my animals. I'm very kind hearted and giving that's why I adopted the hybrid to someone I thought would be respnsible and keep me updated but too bad I haven't heard anything about how he's doing so I guess I chose wrong but whatever what can you do. This is a very hard decision to make and even harder being that I have little time to chose since bobby said their due to hatch at the end of this month. What shall I do angelrose hmmmmm

angelrose

5 Year Member
BOOSTFEEN said:
Yea well I've always been like that I get so attached to my animals. I'm very kind hearted and giving that's why I adopted the hybrid to someone I thought would be respnsible and keep me updated but too bad I haven't heard anything about how he's doing so I guess I chose wrong but whatever what can you do. This is a very hard decision to make and even harder being that I have little time to chose since bobby said their due to hatch at the end of this month. What shall I do angelrose hmmmmm

I love the chacoans. their like a living show piece (kinda). and to me they say 'love me' all over them....lol
this has been an interest of mine as well. at this time, it's either or for me because of the space + cost. I know me and I won't be satisfied with just one tegu ! so here I am ....always looking.
so how can you see yourself being satisfied ?

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you serious BOOSTFEEN? did i not talk to you the other day about him? Im sorry i didnt know i needed to write you and email EVERYDAY and take pics everyday. geeze..

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I love the chacoans. their like a living show piece (kinda). and to me they say 'love me' all over them....lol
this has been an interest of mine as well. at this time, it's either or for me because of the space + cost. I know me and I won't be satisfied with just one tegu ! so here I am ....always looking.
so how can you see yourself being satisfied ?
Well it seems like you and I have a lot in common because I'm the same way I can never be satified with just one thing I have to have it all lol. This decision is killing me I feel like a kind who can't make up there mind in toys r us lol. By the time I make a decision it will be too late that always happens to me angelrose. What other tegus are you thinking of still getting???

BOOSTFEEN

5 Year Member
Lexi said:
Are you serious BOOSTFEEN? did i not talk to you the other day about him? Im sorry i didnt know i needed to write you and email EVERYDAY and take pics everyday. geeze..
Hey Lexi,well let's not make this into anything okay but first off yea we spoke about the tegu but it was for other reasons and that was all I didn't get an update on his well being. Second of all the only update I got was the day after you became his new mommy. I didn't ask you to keep me updated everyday and take pics everyday because that would be ridiculous but an email here and there often times would be nice and appreciated. If what I wrote came out in a bad or wrong way then I apologize im not here to make enemies or be an a$$hole to people because you've met me and I'm not like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me