• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

8'x4'x4' Tegu Cage Tutorial

Wooly

5 Year Member
Hey these are some awesome plans. I will for sure make this very soon. I was going to buy a boamaster, but I think I may give these plans a try first. Thanks alot for the detailed list and instructions.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Re:

PuffDragon said:
For an indoor setup. Do you find the 2 light fixtures on each end enough to provide the proper heat gradient? I plan on using this template for my 10x4 and would like some input.

I know that you posted this a long time ago, but I'll see if I could provide some input for future readers.

I use 3 light fixtures. On one side I have a MVB and a floodlight. On the other I have a regular house light. Surprisingly, yes, the temp gradient is perfect. The flood is wired to a dimmer. Without the dimmer, it was reaching temps of 130*F+ on the hot side (tested before anything was placed inside the cage) and literally melted my digital thermometer. Last temp read was 135 but like I said, it melted, so it could have gotten hotter, and this was only after 30 mins of being on.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
On a side note, I did have issues with humidity during the dry seasons. If you do choose to use this tutorial and live in a dry climate, you may want to possibly consider using a plexiglass front door instead of the mesh. Or... do what I did, connect a series of PVC tubes to a humidifier and route the tubes into the cage. Solves that problem

:)

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
*Bump* For all the new members who didn't see this yet, its really helpful, i might(maybe) actually try to build my own enclosure now :).. Really useful!

chr0nus

im thinking of building this myself but im wondering if im missing anything important with stuff like this: Other common house hold supplies:
4Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã? screws
3Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã? screws

and like this:
You will need to put more on the bottom due to thatÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s where the weight will be.

whats up with all those symbols? anyone have the whole plans?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/how-tos-tutorials/27834-8x4x4-tegu-cage-tutorial.html

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you do, I would suggest doing glass instead of the mesh. The mesh doesn't seem like it would be able to hold humidity well. I was planning on building this for my savy before I had to re-home him. I think there are a few members on here who have built this enclosure or something very similar to it.

adam1120

you dont think the mesh will work?what if you keep the mulch moist ?i was thinking if it didnt work i could but just put plexi glass put it on some hendges and make it come either up/ down easy but will work i think.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can certainly try it, I think the holes in the mesh are too large and will make it very difficult if not impossible to keep humidity in. You could also try adding moist/humid hides to help with sheds and humidity. When I thought about doing it for my savy I had thought about doing the mesh but also doing plexi glass or glass doors as well, I hadn't thought about it too in depth.
I think James built something similar to this enclosure, you can probably ask him his thoughts on it as well.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think the mesh would work unless you are using it outdoors in Florida. It allows too much heat and humidity to escape. I would use glass because it won't scratch like plexi, but plexi will work.

fisheric

Plexi does scratch really easy. If you could find a used 50 gal aquarium on CL just cut the silicon and use the two 4' sections as doors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980