• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby tegu not really growing?

SamBobCat

Hey guys if you have seen my page, you should know that I have an amazing arg. Black and white that I received on may 23rd. When I got django, the guy said he was three months old. But he looked like he was maybe a month old at a whopping 10.5 inches with no green coloring. In the almost three months (as of tomorrow) he has grown about 4 inches which is great, but he is now 6 months old and 15 inches... Does that seem small? He doesn't eat a lot and he doesn't eat every day. He also sleeps quite a bit, waking up around 12ish and going back to sleep around 4-5. Should I try doing something differently? He has a 4×4 enclosure ready, I'm just waiting on the bedding shipment. He has a uvb bulb in addition to a basking bulb, basking spot of about 110, ambient of about 85-90 and he eats one or two f/t pinkies or one small f/t fuzzy about every other day with some blueberries and grapes a treats. He also gets diced chicken gizzard, ground turkey, and halibut on occasion. I know he should be eating it more and I'm going to start back on a firm routine. I sort of fell out of routine and we need to get back on lol

SamBobCat

He is physically healthy, no runny nose or discharge of the nose eyes or mouth. He doesn't look skinny, he's not really lethargic, he constantly flicks his tongue, and he is very very well tempered. Here's a pic of him on my legs.
uploadfromtaptalk1408723542931.jpg

SamBobCat

His previous owner didn't feed him every day "because they grow too fast" so as a result he doesn't like to eat every day. I've seen plenty of other 6 month old tegus around 2 feet long or more and it concerns me because he's barely over a foot long. Is there something I can do to get him to catch up on some growing?

Rodents are like candy to them offering him those until his appetite grows will have him plumped in no time and also there is a product called tegu bites made by a company by the name of nature's zone that will getting eating like a pig.. good luck

SamBobCat

Thank you so much!! I will definitely try that. Just picked up some of those tegu bites. Thanks for all your help!!!

SamBobCat

Yeah lol. He might be trying to hibernate early because he still poops, but he stays chubby all the time. He stay under his bedding hiding, eats very little if any, and drinks a little water occasionaly. His temps are at approx. 98 ambient, and around 105 basking without his tile. I had to clean his basking tile so I will record the basking temp in a bit. His humidity is usually around 60%-65% but it's hard to keep it there.

Use organic topsoil mix with the cypress mulch it'll keep the humidity steady and high. You can find it at home Depot or lowes for about 4 dollars for a extra large bag. I did a 50/50 mix

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu