• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

BEWARE OF THESE IMPORTS!!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
People keep contacting me wanting me to match the price of these import garbage tegus that are hitting the market now. These animals are cheap junk. You need to beware of these so called CB tegus, and even CBBs if seen before June in the pet trade. These are tegus that are imported are not bred in the USA, they tend full of parasites and are not cycled to the northern hemisphere. If you buy one of these imports, they will try to hibernate this summer, it is the exact opposite seasons in Argentina as here, they have winter when we have summer. It is very hard to raise these imports with out vet bills and problems with hibernation in the wrong season. You will be lucky if they live and thrive at all.

These animals are cheaper in price, but after adding a vet bill they become more costly than a Captive Born and Bred tegu in the USA. You really don't know if they are healthy and free of inbreeding. Most of the CB, or even CBB imports are raised on farms for the leather trade; most go to make boots and belts, but a few find the way to the pet trade. When buying one of these animals you are supporting the breeders that raise tegus to be sold for leather, as well as animals raised to be butchered for food.

I will not try to compete with these cheap imports, and you will get what you pay for.

Riplee

5 Year Member
I totally agree. They can sell FB or CH tegu, but they CAN NOT put CB or CBB sign on it.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i saw a few tegus at the expo i went to a little bit ago.a b/w and a few reds.the people selling them said they were born a few months ago.i wanted them but that seemed like what bobby was talking about so i didnt.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
This crap happens EVERY year--there's a sucker born every minute. It sucks how these slimeballs capitalize on these situations. This is why it pays to do your research BEFORE you get into an animal, ya know?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I dont remember seeing CB (correct terms FB- farm bred) from imports for a long time. Has the importing laws in Arg losen up a bit in recent years. Maybe because they are farm bred. You deffently get what you pay for. I have never baught from Bobby but have been part of this fourm scense it started, all the animals he has sold he stands behind 100% not only in their health and temperment but also for any questions people may have. I like to see any wholesaler or importer match that.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are several flippers on KS and a few on Fauna offering 2011 CB tegus, they are on there now, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on these so-called great deals. :rolleyes:

frost

1,000+ Post Club
hey bobby any idea on when my babys are gonna hatch? im gonna go insane waiting for them..

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
frost said:
hey bobby any idea on when my babys are gonna hatch? im gonna go insane waiting for them..

I still do not know an exact date, I am seeing a little courtship behavior in the tegus, but no eggs yet.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
I'm so excited!!!!! I've got a baby coming in June/July too!!! I want to start counting down the days, but we don't even know yet!!! it's driving me CRAZY! lol.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good to know! I too was wondering about all these little guys popping up so early.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Could it be possible that they are captive farmed babies from import parents from the S hemisphere?

They are farm raised in S. Hemisphere... from S Hemisphere parents...

But they cannot be farm raised in the N. Hemisphere from S. Hemisphere parents. Farm raised means outdoors and S. Hemisphere parents kept outdoors in the N. Hemisphere will begin to adapt to N. Hemisphere conditions and will not breed according to a S> Hemisphere schedule...

It is theoretically possible to have S. Hemisphere parents kept indoors in the N. Hemisphere and keep them on the S. Hemisphere cycle. But it would create increased costs in cooling the animals in the (N.Hemi) summers and extra heating in the (N.Hemi) winter. Which is just illogical.

The only thing that makes sense is these animals are bred and born in the S. Hemisphere... most likely Farm Raised...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Duh! S Hemipshere parents wouldn't cycles with the N Hemisphere temps, light cycle, barometric changes, etc. Makes sense. I must have had a moment of insanity. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu