• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black Throat Monitors

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Anybody have experiance with these guys? I think they are super cute and I'm considering getting me a few. Just wandering what their disposition and such are like, and if I could get pointed to a good care sheet. Thanks! :-D

dorton

5 Year Member
They are very similar in care to a Savanah Monitor,
but keep in mind they get larger, and need a very large enclosure, and can consume a considerable amount of $$$ just in food.
But I think they are awsome.
Harveysherps on here has some(or at least he did recently)

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I know of people who have lost fingers to green iguanas. I'm still wanting some :D. I walk on the wild side...lol

dicy

5 Year Member
i think they are a way better option than savanah monitors they are a bit easyer to cae for and when bigger usualy verry easy going monitors ps if u get one start breeding sum snails they love snails

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I sold mine but I enjoyed them when I had them. I like them much better than Savanah Monitors. Pro Exotics has the best caresheets that I know of.

Shannon

5 Year Member
Dicy, I love your avatar! I have that poster in my living room!
vz7lld.jpg

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dicy said:
lol i still have the acktionfigure sumwhere in a box :)

Oh wow, I JUST realized who that was XD Yay for goold ol' GI JOE cartoons. Actually, I never watched them myself....

hoosier

5 Year Member
i dont think i would get a few but one would be great! they are pretty easy going and get to about 6ft in lenth and about 25+ lbs. a great choice for a monitor. i personally want a water monitor. 8)

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I'll have to look more into them now since I'll be getting into a house soon.

hoosier

5 Year Member
defiently do some more research. varanids are extreamly intelligent and inquisitive. check out varanus.nl its a GREAT monitor fourm with alot of knowledgeable people. ive been a member there for a little over a year now. verey intreastig topic. 8)

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
get a white throat. they're pretty much the same as blacks but smaller. and they don't eat as much as blacks, but still quite a bit.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
akward_silence91 said:
get a white throat. they're pretty much the same as blacks but smaller. and they don't eat as much as blacks, but still quite a bit.

Aren't pure white throats RIDICULOUSLY more expensive than black throats, though?

Beazer

5 Year Member
Probably depends on the white throat locality. Some white throat locals are ugly as sin. Others like the cape bandeds are so freaking gorgeous. I believe though, that you will still pay a few bucks to a few hundred bucks more on a white throat. Black throats are great. Kinda huffy puffy more stubborn little guys but seem to grow out of it as they get use to your presence. Ionides are gorgeous. Like hoosier said just get one because they get big and are pretty steady growers. If you do get them and plan on breeding, make sure you feed your females good enuogh calcium and whole food items as well. I have known a few people who've lost their monitors because of calcium depletion even just breeding the monitor(s) once. If you are ready for that big of a monitor, jump on a gorgeous Ionides black throat. You wont be dissapointed.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980