• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman Lizard and Red male Argentine tegu up for rehoming and or willing to trade

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
aaahhhhh man where do i begin...well as most of you guys know im moving back to the bronx since i lost my job and they offered me a position up north and i dont think my lizards will survive the shipping...my wife stays in tears cause we have to rehome Rowley(caiman lizard) and we worked so hard with him to get him as tame as he is now...Rowley is a sweet caiman lizard loves to watch tv(only with me..lol..my wife tries it and he wont stay still...lol) i take him out for an hour a day after that he just wants back in his enclosure....he live's in a 4x2x2 enclosure that i built for him that you will be getting as well...he needs a bigger one but i'll leave that up to you i will only let him go to an experience reptile owner and later on in the future when you breed him you can sell me one...all im asking for him is 600.00 with his enclosure......

my Rowley
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/645/scrachme.jpg

his enclosure
http://imageshack.us/a/img23/2650/rowleyenclosure.jpg

i also have to rehome my male red argentine tegu he is skiddish doesn't bit you can pet him but he doesn't like to be picked up ive been working with him for a while and so has ntyvirius he come over and helps me out....he is potty trained if you leave his cage open he come out poops and goes back inside when he feels like it while he is walking around he lets you pet him but does this death roll when you try to pick him up he is extremely healthy and feeding on everything medium rats every Wednesday he lives in a 6x3x3 enclosure with humid/hide...all am asking for is 500.00 with enclosure

Chum-Chum
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/1692/eating1f.jpg

his enclosure
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/1876/scage.jpg

if you look in the pet shops both reptiles would sell for much more.....local pick up only i am not and will not ship cause i feel like they wont survive

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
ReptileGuy said:
I'm so sorry :((( I really hope the new job works out for you!!
**** happens for a reason just hope i can get these guys to a great and experience home/owner...i took them in and now i feel like i failed them but i know rowley won't survive the shipping...and chum chum is skiddish now imagine after shipping i just got him to trust people...after shipping he would probably go back to being mean like he use to be...i asked some dude name mike that lives in florida cause he has like four caimans and he take great care of his enclosure wise and all....i told him just to give me a 1080p projector w/hdmi and you can get those brand new for like 300.00 to 330.00 just cause i see the way he takes care of his and i new Rowley would be in great care but he just gave me the run around like always people want things free....and that aint gonna happen i spent to much money on them really just trying to get back some thats all.....time are ruff....

ReptileGuy

DoctorPepper4 said:
ReptileGuy said:
I'm so sorry :((( I really hope the new job works out for you!!
Poo happens for a reason just hope i can get these guys to a great and experience home/owner...i took them in and now i feel like i failed them but i know rowley won't survive the shipping...and chum chum is skiddish now imagine after shipping i just got him to trust people...after shipping he would probably go back to being mean like he use to be...i asked some dude name mike that lives in florida cause he has like four caimans and he take great care of his enclosure wise and all....i told him just to give me a 1080p projector w/hdmi and you can get those brand new for like 300.00 to 330.00 just cause i see the way he takes care of his and i new Rowley would be in great care but he just gave me the run around like always people want things free....and that aint gonna happen i spent to much money on them really just trying to get back some thats all.....time are ruff....

Sounds great! You are doing the right thing....Much better than risking them dying :O

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why don't you think they will survive the shipping. Reptiles get shipped all the time.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
yea they do but the older they are i've heard the stress from the shipping can kill them...i even asked my vet and she confirmed it...and im not willing to find out by having them die nor have Rowley or chum-chum die if i can prevent it...and number two im moving to new york its cold as hell in the winter time and if i loses light in the winter time god know's con-edison sucks getting put back on it happen to me before it was back in 2005 we had a big winter storm lost light for three days and my snake died.....im not willing to loses these two if i can prevent it....

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They won't die from stress. Now the cold winters and power outages are a valid concern, but if you truly want to keep them there are things you could do to keep them warm during a power outage.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you want to keep them, take them with you. How long is the drive, assuming you are driving? Is there a shop or friend that could hold them until you get to NY and then ship them up to you?

As far as the cold/power outages, a generator will work if you lose power and simple halogen flood lamps will provide plenty of heat for the enclosures.

I know it can be a hassle, but if you truly want to keep them it will be worth it. If you are ok with rehoming them, I see no problem in that either. Just do what it is you and your wife truly want.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
james.w said:
If you want to keep them, take them with you. How long is the drive, assuming you are driving? Is there a shop or friend that could hold them until you get to NY and then ship them up to you?

As far as the cold/power outages, a generator will work if you lose power and simple halogen flood lamps will provide plenty of heat for the enclosures.

I know it can be a hassle, but if you truly want to keep them it will be worth it. If you are ok with rehoming them, I see no problem in that either. Just do what it is you and your wife truly want.

james to tell you the truth we just want whats best for them so they can live a long healthy life im not really sure i just want to be selfish and take them with me but what happens if they die am going to be hurt and feel even worse cause i knew what the outcome could have been....you understand...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I lose power all the time, I have lost heat in the head of winter and still kept the collection alive. I do have a generator but have had that go down as well. I keep on hand those hand warmers that people use for skiing or even shipping reptiles, thye can last up to 12 hours and are very warm. I place those in a plastic pet carrier with some blankets, they will keep an animal warm and alive. It has saved me a few times. I also have a wood burning stove (oh mountain living) that I use to heat the house. I will boil water on it and put the hot water in bottle wrap those in towels and put them in carriers. In a real pinch, I have taken them in carriers into my truck get the truck running and the heater blaring.

I have shipped Bosco across the country before, he was skittish for a week and then settled down again. I have driven from Arkansas back to Cali before and often time have them on the Nor Cal to So Cal trips. It can be done, but easiest if you just have the drive with you. No basking for two to three days will not hurt them if only done once.

With all the work I know you have put into the animals, I would hate to see you lose them.

Ntyvirus

Holy crap man, I've been swamped at work so I haven't been able to head over. When did all of this happen? I'll give you a shout later to get the details but let me know if you need anything and I'll see if I can't pull some strings.

lilwyhunter

5 Year Member
I don't think your worry about shipping and living in the North is all that necessary. I live in New Hampshire and manage a reptile shop right outside of Manchester. We ship reptiles year round (except when it's 100 degrees) and have yet to lose something other then frogs during shipping in all the years I've been there. We've even successfully shipped chameleons, which are known to overstress extremely easily.

We've received 2 baby caiman lizards before and will be receiving 3 baby tegus this morning, each and every animal shows up happy and healthy. As far as living up north, you adapt and adjust. I lost power for 7 days last year, just make sure you're prepared and ready with LOTS of handwarmers. You can do it if you put your mind and heart into it, I wouldn't give up my reptiles just because I live in the North.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea man hold on I live in queens NY and I have a beardie and am recieve a tegu u can do it

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
Well my wife decided we aint moving she said she can handle all the bills herself till i get back on my feet...(wow thnx princess) in reality she doesn't want to loose Rowley and she hate the cold me i love the snow,slush and freezing weather(hate shoveling).....what messed up was my wife truly said she can live with out the tegu she wasn't concerned about him at all(cause he's a ****) but Rowley watches tv with us and he just walks right to the front of the glass and scratches when he wants to be held....but chum-chum(tegu) just doesn't like people so she doesn't like him lololololol.....thank you james,chelvis,and the rest of you guys cause i really was gonna re-home them.....see you guys when i get back from up north....i still have to go up their and work a week and turn it down....

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good to hear you are going to keep them. Good luck with the job hunt, I'm in the same boat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980