• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caimen lizard

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
PinkPunisher said:
They also live on a diet of only snails. It would be awesome to have one though!

Spencer

maybe when they are a little more common..

But im just fine with my tegu, soon t be tegus. :)

Schnab

5 Year Member
I love caiman lizards! If they weren't so expensive I'd so get one. But it looks like they need ALOT of maintnance since they're semi-aquatic. Plus the snail-only diet. They look alot like a tegu aswell.

hoosier

5 Year Member
they are a pretty neat Teiid. but like yall have said itseems like they would need alot of special care thatwould indeed cost a bit more than our tegus lol

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think the care would cost anymore than a tegu, in fact probably less. You can buy snails buy the pound in asian markets for peanuts.

Here's a good pic for size reference.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1645235,1645235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1645235,1645235</a><!-- m -->

hoosier

5 Year Member
i didnt really think of that Puff. i have been intreasted in Dracaena for a wile but never really thought about if snails would be cheap or not. i guess i just assumed they wouldnt be.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Same goes for me hoosier. I just figured the snails wouldn't be cheap because you don't hear of them in the hobby much, well I don't at least.

Now to start saving and looking around! I don't think there is even one in all of Canada! LOL

Spencer

TE GU-RU

5 Year Member
well pink, if they wont ship to canada u can always take a drive down to mass and pick it up here at my house, id like to take a look at the lil guy anyways haha

s4sainz

LOL theese animals are cool to work with, very common now in the pet trade, i have seen them go as low as $450 now on kingsnake, i had a few. Feeding them is real cheap, i spoend maybe $3-$5 a month feeding them, i buy seafood from the asian super markets and its super cheap, they sell snails, clams, etc....Easy to take care of
DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0953.jpg

DSC_0954.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0980.jpg

DSC_0975.jpg

DSC_0972.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
man the more i read and the more i see these guys the more i can't wait. I have to wait till september to get on however, im currently in temp housing and can't have one till i move home. My tegus miss me now that im gone, my mom says my tegu durning free roam time has been sleeping in the dirty laudry i left or on my pillow. Poor guy.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely the type of animal I would want to go all out enclosure-wise.. Huge semi-aquatic setup where you could watch them dive, swim and hunt their snails(if you can find or raise your own live).

s4sainz

Yeah they are extremely cool interesting unsual lizards, I kept many tegus in the past and theese guys are very similir, just the caiman is semi aquatic. Anyone who keeps tegu's and loves em will love theese guys just as much, thats for sure. The price should keep dropping with so many people importing them, i have seen them as low as $350

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm hoping to get a CB one maybe, as for the enclosure i keep thinking of pulling the 300 gallon fishtank i have in storage. Using glass and silicon to use 3/4 of it water about 2 feet deep. I would love to go larger, we'll see. I have to first got to get home really.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I don't live in an area with Asian markets. I think it'd be tough to feed one of these guys. I've heard of people feeding the Zoomed Can O'Snails. I thought the label on them said that they were not to be fed as a staple. Anyone sure about this?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From what i've been hearing they can be used with theses guys just because thats what they specialize in. However people have been feeding CB ones pinkis, ground turkey and other food items along with snails. Fresh imports on the other hand i think will only take snails, so if getting one ask what they are feedin on.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I also wonder about filtering a water source the size of what you'd need for one of these to be able to swim. I'd consider an 8ft Waterland tub. How would you filter out feces in a pool that big? It would be hard to do without a drainage system being utilized daily. What are others doing?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A drainage system would be ideal, but you can also use a fluval filter or a canister filter is drilling and sealing up a waterland tub doesnt sound applealing. The fluval is what has been used for year in turtle tanks they have a heavel duty foam filteration before the carbom and the mechanics. They are great for tanks that have large waste. The canister is great for people who do not want the filter showing. However if your talking like a zoo lize cage where there is over 1000 then even the largets canister filter (and they come pretty big now on the aquarium market) will have problems and a sub filter tank is the most effecant way to go.

I've been looking into a a waterland tub for a caiman lizard but i think a aquaruim and then a custom build enclosure is the way im gonna go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214