• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caimen lizard

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Yeah, I was thinking about a 75 gallon tank with a custom built land area vs the tub. I just wasn't sure that canisters available to aquarium hobbyists would be sufficient. I don't know much about fish keeping. I'm inclined to wait and see how these animals fare now that they are becoming more available and more people are buying them. I mainly want to see how dietary alternatives pan out. I'm a bit skeptical about people feeding rat pups, turkey, canned snails, etc. These are animals that we were told were highly specialized for a long time. I'm not sure they'd be eating any of these other things if they had live snails available. The main thing that concerns me about canned snails is the fact that they must be chocked with preservatives. I'm not so high on the idea of that sort of thing as a staple. It's like me eating cold cuts all the time instead of fresh steak or chicken breasts. I can survive off of cold cuts for awhile, but the fresh meat is much better for me. I hope these things all work out and these animals live long and hopefully productive lives. I'd hate to see people dropping that kind of jack on a dream lizard to have it barely squeak by or worse.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can understand that, i found some frozen snails at the asian market and my buddies at the aqarium store say they will sell me apple and mystery snails at whole sale price. So thats the only reason i will try them. I can also get fresh clams and crayfish no problem. I too am intereted in how things work out. From what the guys at the zoo have told me the ones they have now will eat other things other than snails but thier colors are not a viberant as their older breeders who eat only snails, clams and crayfish.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Crayfish and snails are another story. I know I can get them anytime I need to. I had a Dumeril's that lived almost entirely on crawdads and shrimp. Being in Kentucky, however, I'm not sure that I can find an Asian market. There are a lot of Japanese people in the vicinity (major Toyota hub), but I still don't know about the snail availabitlity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu