• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

couple more pics of my Saharans

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
I am 90% sure that the red is a female and the yellow is a male not by their color (females usualy don't have that bright of color) but by the bellies on them. Males have a tiger striping pattern on their belly where as the females are all white maybe with a little freckling of their color but no stripes. I use a towl and dry them off as much as possible before they go back into the cage.

Amazing lizards though, being fresh imports and still docile as hell when you hold them, its the catching them in the cage thats a little more difficult haha, 8ft is alot of space for those little guys to run around in.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Ya...its a good thing u got the saharans rather than another species or they definatley wouldn't be "docile as hell". lol. I've never heard of sexing Uro's that way. Sounds interesting

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
lizardboy101 said:
Ya...its a good thing u got the saharans rather than another species or they definatley wouldn't be "docile as hell". lol. I've never heard of sexing Uro's that way. Sounds interesting

Indeed lol, thats why i wanted saharans and the one website that does have them, didn't have any for sale so i gave up. I then stumbled apon these and got them.

Ill get some belly shots tomorrow of mine and show you but for now here is a belly shot of a male yellow from that site.

Bellyshotofmale.jpg

These are the "tiger" stripes i was talking about that only males have. Females have a solid white with some speckeling on their bellys.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Not 100% sure but i believe only the Saharans have the striped belly or atleast i don't think Mali's, Ornates, or Egypt/Nigerians do.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Saharans come from several countried bordering the saharan desert of north africa.the Aegyptica (Egyptian) and Aegyptica Microlepis are closest related to Nigerians which the actual uromastyx named Nigerian are really non existant.

Banded (closely related to the Mali), Abony, Indian (sub species Babiana which is not found in US captivity), Mali, Moroccan (closest relative is the Mali), Orange Benti (cousin of the Rainbow or Mountain Benti), Ornates which come from Egypt and Israel, Saharans which come from several countries around the north African Saharan desert, Somali (closely related to the Ornate), Sudanese which is an Ocellated Uromastyx from Sudan & a relative of the other Ocellated Uromastyx, the Ornate.

These are the different species of Uromastyx, what they are related to and where they come from.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Oh ok...u learn something new everyday. I had just always heard the Nigerians being associated with Saharans...Reds and Yellows

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
There are so many people out there that sell Nigerians, yellows and reds which in reallity they are Saharans. I do not know where they get Nigerians from unless they just call it by a place they are imported from.

I think there is to much crossing information out there on all reptile morphs, boas, pythons, and lizards. In the ball python world of morphs, there are too many people selling "pastels" which look like a normal one to me (there are some that i can see a big difference in) but still sell them for 10x the amount of a normal.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Ya, it's just ridiculous that people cant just think of animals for great as they really are. I mean ya some crosses are just gorgeous, but then in some species...the original is always better

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus