• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heat Bulbs

Dirkthejerk41

I'm just curious, what wattage/kind of bulbs do ya'll use for heat?? I just bought a 50w halogen flood light for the new enclosure im moving my guy into, but im afraid it may be too hot.

KritterKeeper

I use a 45 watt halogen flood. It makes the hottest spot roughly 110 right in the center. Just make sure u keep track of temps with a temp gun, u may need to do some adjusting..

KritterKeeper

I have 3 lights total in a 6' cage. The 45watt halogen, the reptisun 10.0 uv and a 40 watt household bulb with a dome fixture near the other end for extra warmth.

Dirkthejerk41

okay right now its just a 3x2x1... you think the 50 watt halogen and a uvb bulb will be enough?

A uvb bulb that doesn't produce heat, though.

KritterKeeper

I would think so. I have the same 45 watt halogen in my beardies 4'x1.5' open top cage and it keeps the cool side around 76 or so. Best thing u can do is use good equipment to measure temps so u know exactly what's going on in the cage.

bfb345

if it gets too hot i would try a dimmer switch it works well with lights that need to be toned down and you can get it to just where you need it

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
You can get an inline lamp dimmer from home depot online for about $13. I use one. But if you dim a halogen bulb down too much, it shortens its life.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I use dark red bulbs for night. You need to give them a day/night cycle. Just dimming the light somewhat will not be enough.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At night a drop into the low 70s is fine. I use not heating on my gus during the spring, summer and fall.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
A former member james told me 74 may be an indicator to them or a trigger of eminant hibernation. So I try to make sure at night it does not drop below 75 by using a red night time heat bulb. (Dubya's suggestion) . In nh and my house gets pretty chilly in winter.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I use the night bulbs because where I keep my tegu, the temp is about 65 degrees.

tjohnson722

I use chicken coop infrared bulbs. 250 watt. At Tractor Supply co. Its about 5.99 for 2. Use domes they sell with them which is also like 3.99.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu