• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heat Bulbs

KritterKeeper

BatGirl1 said:
A former member james told me 74 may be an indicator to them or a trigger of eminant hibernation. So I try to make sure at night it does not drop below 75 by using a red night time heat bulb. (Dubya's suggestion) . In nh and my house gets pretty chilly in winter.

Since columbians dont hibernate would this still cause a problem?
The room my reptiles are in stays in the mid 70s so i guess thats why i dont worry about heating at night..

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm only going by what james suggested because niles did hibernate (from oct to march) ... so I cannot be 100% certain about columbians, since niles is an argentine. That said, I was told that tegus in general can 'withstand ' temps not below 65. So... I doubt allowing the night temp to reach 70's would do any 'harm ' to him. As I mentioned, my house temps drop in our nh winters, so i do feel i personally need that night bulb.

Mikeiam

I'm just curious, what wattage/kind of bulbs do ya'll use for heat?? I just bought a 50w halogen flood light for the new enclosure im moving my guy into, but im afraid it may be too hot.
U got a picture of the box the light comes in I can’t seem to find the right bulb

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since columbians dont hibernate would this still cause a problem?
The room my reptiles are in stays in the mid 70s so i guess thats why i dont worry about heating at night..

Not 100% what all Colombians do but Alpha slows right down and I only see him probably once a week although there is no routine to this. he usually shows his face and warms up a little bit, but doesn't tend to eat until the following day and then I don't see him for a week or so again.

Hes also usually in a grumpy mood and likes to be left to his own devices

I personally don't use a night heat emitter and I'm in the UK with night temps around 65-70 f

Tonymoon01

I use chicken coop infrared bulbs. 250 watt. At Tractor Supply co. Its about 5.99 for 2. Use domes they sell with them which is also like 3.99.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Is it okay to have them under the infrared lights?
How hot does the basking spot get?
My B&W tegu knocked over one of her bulbs and it started to set the mulch on fire and it was smoking so I’m setting a smoke detector and getting better restraints for the lights

Member1421

2-250W chicken coop bulbs = a lot of power and money. Halogen non-LED bulbs around 70-watts, lined in a row, based on the size of your friend, using some sort of high quality ceramic fitting or even lamp holders smartly secured/hung to/from the top of the enclosure with a source of UVB would be preferred to any type of bulb a small dinosaur can climb on, lay on, knock over, spill water on, or commit an unintentional act of arson with. Smoke alarms are great, but your lizard shouldn't be able to knock over a bulb, however that happens.

And you can buy dimmers for the bulbs, too, to ensure the temperature gun you purchase is dialing in the proper temps.

Tiigu

Anyone have good luck with PowerSun 80w bulbs? I’ve gone through 3 in two months… on a timer, 6 hours a day.

tryig to decide if I just have abysmally bad luck or if the bulbs are junk.

Acre

Anyone have good luck with PowerSun 80w bulbs? I’ve gone through 3 in two months… on a timer, 6 hours a day.

tryig to decide if I just have abysmally bad luck or if the bulbs are junk.
I hope someone answers this because that is what I am using, so far just for the last two weeks. If they're junk dialing everything in with different UVB and heat sources would be a royal pain and I'm over 100 miles from the nearest reptile store. Not a problem I could fix on the fly.
Edited to say - this guy doesn't like mercury vapor -

Last edited:

Acre

OK after less than 3 weeks my 80 W flickered a bunch of times before staying on this morning. Not a good sign. I've been careful not to bang it around.

rantology

I don't have any advice on PowerSuns but on the topic of longevity, I have been using a 4ft Arcadia Dragon 14% UVB T5 fixture for 2 years now and still haven't needed to replace the bulb (I measure it with a Solarmeter)... then for heat I just use the 72W halogen floodlights that home depot sells in a 6 pack for like 15 bucks.... those burn out a few times a year but they work well enough... usually just have to buy 1 box per year for 2 fixtures.

Acre

Another update. The Powersun folk said the flickering was likely a connection problem and not a bulb problem. Check the bulb base. Did that, it looked as they said it should, I cleaned it and the lamp base and still had the problem. I figured, as these bulbs with their ballasts at touchy, maybe I had a lamp or timer issue so I swapped them both out. No more problems. Lamp and timer work fine with incandescent bulbs but obviously there's some slight electrical problem that louses up the ballast on the mercury vapor bulb. So anywho I'm, back in business.

CorduroyEW

It depends on how hot your house is, how big your Viv is, and how close your light is to the substrate.

I am in the UK so I apologise for using Celsius. My home is usually around 18c and my Viv sits on the floor. Under these conditions a 100 watt bulb will get a 2x2x4 Viv up to 30c on the hot side and 20 on the cold. The basking spot is around 45 to 50. This means the basking spot is OK but the other temps are too low.

I tried a 150 watt bulb and the basking spot was 60c, which is too hot.

I ended up needing 2 100w bulbs to keep the basking spot cool enough while keeping the other temps high enough.

After moving to a larger Viv I had to add a 3rd light and because the new Viv was 2 feet taller I had to bump the wattage up to 150w for the main 2 and 100w for the 3rd

CorduroyEW

I feel like I should also mention the importance of a proper temp sensor that will turn the heat up and down according to the temp of the Viv.

I find that over sized bulbs connected to something that properly controles the power to the bulbs significantly increases the longevity of the bulbs. Instead of replacing them every 4 to 8 weeks I'm replacing them every 4 to 8 months. It also takes the guesswork out of controlling temp.

Acre

I use an 8 x 3 x 2 horse trough and raise or lower the basking temperature by adding or removing one inch thick pieces of slate. Easier and more economical than adding wattage. And lots of thermal mass provides protection against temperature drops in the even of a wintertime power outage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu