• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HEEEEEEEEELPPPP!!!

merlinsdrgn

5 Year Member
I already have all the correct lighting thing going on, the basking light, UVB light, & night light... And correct, this Saturday Sandy will be going to see the vet & I'm going in with the list Cornking gave me... All should be well afterwards... I will update as soon as I get back from the vet... thanks everyone for your help & advice with this matter :)

merlinsdrgn

5 Year Member
Just update everyone... I took Sandy to the vet this morning & I have somewhat good news... She doesn't have MBD... she got x-rays done and her bones mass is fine except for some slight tenderness... He said I got her the UVB in time to further prevent any bone damage & since she hasn't twitched since that 1st time she'll be fine... I also mentioned the list you provided Cornking and he said they're good but not needed bc she's not bad enough to need that procedure done as yet... He did prescribe her some Calcionate Syrup, which I have to give her 2x's daily... I have to take her back in about 2wks for a follow up... I'm glad I took her to this particular vet... he really knew what he was talking about... he broke down the info on UVB & MBD & the efects of MBD and other care needs for my beardies... I'm glad she's doing good... Thanks again everyone for caring enough to provide some helpful advice!

merlinsdrgn

5 Year Member
Hey Cornking! Yeah she's back to her normal self... quick question though: at what age do beardies start to brumate? Reason I ask is bc she goes into her hide when it starts getting dark outside... my male beardie, which is about a month younger than her, doesn't do this... he stays out basking until I turn off the lights on them...

cornking4

5 Year Member
Any hibernating reptile will go down for the winter at any age, as they would in the wild, but many owners choose to keep them out of brumation their first year to let them keep growing. It depends on the animal though; some will go down no matter how high the temps are and some won't go down their entire life. If your beardies want to slow down, go ahead and let them (fighting it is sometimes a lost cause), although hibernation is really only necessary if you want to breed them in the long run.

merlinsdrgn

5 Year Member
Oh ok... Cool then I guess it means I don't have to worry about it then... Yeah, some days Sandy is a little hyper & others she just chills in her basking spot... Thanks for the info CK!

jarett_Harrison

5 Year Member
I know im very late, but i do agree with the vet that the IV's weren't needed.
And beardies dont hibernate. They Bruminate. They will slow down for the winter but dont go to sleep entirely like tegus. They still eat and bask a little but just aren't as active.

cornking4

5 Year Member
It would have depended on how progressed the MBD was and how she responded to oral meds. Usually when they get to the moderate twitching and refusal of food phase the nerves in their digestive system are so deprived of calcium that it's difficult to them to absorb anything through their small intestine, so IV calcium and A/D are given to boost muscle function and allow for oral meds to be given. Luckily she wasn't as progressed as I believed and was able to skip the injections... By the way, how's she doing now?

You're right about brumation, Jarett; few reptiles truly fall into torpor or hibernation, but it's used so frequently to describe brumation that the two have practically become synonymous. My bad for slipping :doh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus