• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

help

Dereks-Dragons

okay spo i might be buying an established 5 YO proven breeding pair of reds. i only need the female so im wondering if its bad or if itrs possible to swap males on her to my adult male extreme giant?

Dereks-Dragons

i dont care about that. i gotta talk to my parents and see what i can get $ wise for my 16tyh bday so i can buy some females. my mom told me to tqlk to my dad tommorrow, im thinking of gbettng that group of 5 argentine black and whites thats on kingsnaker, keeping a female are 2, and selling off the rest then buying a red female.

kellen.watkins

Dang, you must get a pretty substantial amount of money to be taking care of all these pets, I make decent scratch but I couldn't imagine taken care of that much

Dereks-Dragons

Well I work 10$ an hour about 400-500$ a week. But my female breeders I'm getting for my 16th bday my parents are buying them for me. I found some adult female reds for sale there's 6 I believe. For 200 per piece. I called him and there's a sale pending o all of them I'll know today. He also might have arg. B&w females for me. So I might do extremeXb&w as well. I have a q. If I got a 3 foot 1.5 year old female ... She wouldn't be ready to breed by next summer would she?

hoosier

5 Year Member
thats a lot of tegus to take care of on top of everything eles. i hope you have the space for all of the hatchlings they will produce.
also unrelated but you work 40 to 50+ hrs a week at 15? you need to talk to your employer lol i know here when i was in highschool there was a law that stated you couldnt work more that 20 or 30 a week if still in highschool.

Dereks-Dragons

Lol I work Less I'n the school year, but summers I work all day everyday exept I take weekends off usually. And yeah I have plenty of room we are building a separate building outside separate from the house with heat and electric and such, pretty much a separate house for my hobby cuz I ran out of space I'n my bedroom haha

Dereks-Dragons

Lol I have year till I have to pay bills. Plus I should make some $ back with the breeding I know I make major $ breeding high end Beardies.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Dereks-Dragons said:
Well I work 10$ an hour about 400-500$ a week. But my female breeders I'm getting for my 16th bday my parents are buying them for me. I found some adult female reds for sale there's 6 I believe. For 200 per piece. I called him and there's a sale pending o all of them I'll know today. He also might have arg. B&w females for me. So I might do extremeXb&w as well. I have a q. If I got a 3 foot 1.5 year old female ... She wouldn't be ready to breed by next summer would she?

It take's three years for a tegu to reach sexual maturity, this rule should be followed especially with females. Being most females take quite a beating during the mating season from males i would just pair her with on male and hope for the best, make sure she is nice and fat as we'll.

Dereks-Dragons

Okay and this is a stupid question but I never rele payed much attention to these ratio things. If Theres a group of 1.1 and 0.3 what's that mean?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Dereks-Dragons said:
Okay and this is a stupid question but I never rele payed much attention to these ratio things. If Theres a group of 1.1 and 0.3 what's that mean?

No such thing as a stupid question,

I had no clue a few months ago what it meant.

The first number is the amount of males - 1.0.0 = 1 male
The second number is females - 1.2.0 - 1 male and 2 females
The third number is juvenile/unknown sex - 1.2.1 - 1 male, 2 female, 1 unknown

Makes things much easier, as a breeder this will really come in handy for you :D!

kellen.watkins

1,1 cb (captive bred) is ok but the 0,3 wc (wild caught) is a bit concerning, due to there are no wild caught argentine tegus imported as C.I.T.E.S prohibits it, basically a wild caught argentine is illeagal, imported argentines come from leather farms... I know depressing right :-( I would be cautious about wc's sounds like a scam to me

Side note colombians are wc imports

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Dereks-Dragons said:
Okay thanks:) now a group of 1.1 cb and 0.3 wc I'n Florida... Worth buying ?

1.1 cb is yeah!

I would stay away from WC, your trying to start your breeding, do not risk it by bringing reptiles that may have parasites,mites or what ever. Mites spread fast!

I doubt the importation of Argentine has been stopped, still some fresh in the market around march or so at expos.

Dereks-Dragons

Well this breeding group is an established proven group of 1.1 cb and 0.3 wc "I'n florida". So they are already together and have been for ahwile.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Oh okay, but still i'd try to go with cb only. That's what i do,those are my plans.

But if they are established and the deal is that good, then i guess i don't see why not, just ask for pictures and if they are proven, then the females may be a little beat up.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Does sound like a good deal,you will be able to breed in a few months. Saves you three years! You'll have more males than females which is good, work some of your boys over time and you'll have a better egg count.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980