• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how many site members have succesfully bred tegus?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
just wondering if very many people have. it seems like most people on the forums are passionate owners of a couple tegus, but not very members breed their tegus. So i just want to know who breeds what, and how big the clutch sizes were in the past, or any other interesting tegu breeding stories.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I breed them, but I am sure everyone knows that. My clutch sizes have been between 15 and 55 so far, however Bert Langerwerf had a clutch of 74 last year.

joshandjack

5 Year Member
thats why i said that you and bert and possibly ron St. Piere were the only ones to deserve the right to be called "tegu gods" so far, but not everyone seemed to agree with that statement.
but wow, 74 eggs. does the size of the female relate to how many eggs she can produce? if so, do you know how big bert's female that produced 74 eggs was.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think the size of the female matters too much, but I don't think a very small female would be able to produce a clutch that big.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I haven't yet and I plan on it because I have a lot of responsible friends who are planning on buying them. I don't really like the idea of too many people breeding because I'm already driving around california picking up sick and abandoned tegus and finding them homes with responsible owners.

I don't want to sound like I am completely against breeding. I just think everyone should be very careful. pitbulls are my favorite dogs, but there are 10 breeders in everytown and a california petfinder search shows that there are 3000 adoptable at this very minute. imagine all the unadoptable, missing, dead,fought, dogs. they are way too prevalent.

I love tegus how they are right now, almost like a designer animal. fairly rare. always noticed, and kept fairly underground. if tegus become the new ball python, or even worse, iguana, I want the first ship off this rock.

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
I don't want to breed Tegus,even accidently.I just want to love them and admire them for the beautiful animal they are.

I have 4 tegus and 3 are males for sure,the 4th I am not sure about and its hibernating.
They are all free roamers so not sure what I'll do if the 4th happens to be a female.
Guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :doh

Brat!

tegulevi

5 Year Member
i am a half breeder lol. one clutch that was reabsorbed and one clutch dropped early and all duds. m blue female dropped 30 eggs 2 weeks into being gravid so they all were duds.and im dumb and didnt give my red a deep enough nest so she reabsorbed them

COWHER

5 Year Member
joshandjack said:
thats why i said that you and bert and possibly ron St. Piere were the only ones to deserve the right to be called "tegu gods" so far, but not everyone seemed to agree with that statement.
but wow, 74 eggs. does the size of the female relate to how many eggs she can produce? if so, do you know how big bert's female that produced 74 eggs was.

I was just sayin ron st pierre is a :butt
I think that bobby is a tegu god and I was just crackin on bert I think he is can be a tegu godalso he is just a little ....... talaban-ish lmao if you dont know why thats funny read the german article on bert its a hoot :lol: :lol:

joshandjack

5 Year Member
oh yeah i think bobby posted that one a while back it was pretty funny, he definately lives a unique lifstyle, but dont see how the poor german dude with cancer is a terrorist haha. maybe im tinking of a different article, im not sure.

COWHER

5 Year Member
maybe its the head dress
301169478.jpg

boygenius

5 Year Member
Bert is the OG of the herp gang. In that picture it looks like he is doing the teacup pose but he's actually throwing up a gang sign.

Don't be hating on him.

That's my home boy that I never met.

COWHER

5 Year Member
boygenius said:
Bert is the OG of the herp gang. In that picture it looks like he is doing the teacup pose but he's actually throwing up a gang sign.

Don't be hating on him.

That's my home boy that I never met.

I'm not bashing the guy He looks like a pretty good guy I was just poking fun thats all no harm meant.....

Taucher76

5 Year Member
hi...

last year i had the first clutch...of about 54 eggs...the female is about 90cm /3ft

But nothing happens...no hatchlings.

this year i hope to get much more...out of 2 big girls...and i will use the best breeders...the females.

maybe i will take just some eggs for the incubator...

boygenius

5 Year Member
How come some of the stories that I read, most of the eggs are duds.. how does this happen and what can you do to prevent duds?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I think a lot of people choose not to hibernate their tegus to begin with. Also, people aren't willing to make the commitment to multiple cages required to breed these animals. It's very expensive and hard to make a living doing.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
I think a lot of people choose not to hibernate their tegus to begin with. Also, people aren't willing to make the commitment to multiple cages required to breed these animals. It's very expensive and hard to make a living doing.

That could be part of the problem, however I cannot say for sure. All of my animals hibernate each season and when bred produce fertile eggs. I have never kept a tegu from hibernation to see if this is a true fact as to the unsuccessful breeding problems in these animals. I will say that Bert feels real strong about this, and he also claims if they miss one hibernation period that they become useless as a breeder. I will also add, Bert has been breeding these animals longer than anyone else in the United States, and he would know better than anyone else.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
It makes perfect sense. They've evolved to hibernate, and I think their sexual organs would grow improperly. Thats just my take. Also, most monitors don't hibernate, but the experts who have experimented with monitor hibernation in some of the species who live in areas of extreme temperature fluctuation have had success. I would not recommend that anyone try this, because the risk of killing your monitor is great, but there are people who are doing this and getting babies.

-Chris

boygenius

5 Year Member
So being a blue tegu owner myself and having read around that blue tegu's don't hibernate..

I haven't seen my blues hibernate but my bigger one one day went to sleep for 3-4 days and came up again (And they also sure do sleep a lot)..

In the future if i wish to breed them, will they also most likely produce infertile eggs since they do not hibernate?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980