• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how many site members have succesfully bred tegus?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I tend to agree with Levi, seeing how there have been pictures of them taken in the wilds of central Argentina. The weather gets quite cold there, looks like they would hibenate just like the rest in that region.

boygenius

5 Year Member
so should i turn my under tank heater off for it to get cold enough?

right now i have them in the basement and its a bit chilly down here so thats why i also got the undertank heater for at night time when the basking light and uv light is off..

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I would find a way to insulate the bottom without using a UTH. The tegus can't thermo-regulate as they would in the wild if they have heat coming from the ground. Lizards dig burrows not only for shelter, but to hydrate in the moist earth and also to cool down.

-Chris

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
I would find a way to insulate the bottom without using a UTH. The tegus can't thermo-regulate as they would in the wild if they have heat coming from the ground. Lizards dig burrows not only for shelter, but to hydrate in the moist earth and also to cool down.

-Chris

I could not agree more, there is nothing warm or dry about a burrow in the wild.

boygenius

5 Year Member
Oh ok, well i have cypress mulch as the substrate and i notice they burrow down in there to sleep.

I have turned the UTH off now.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
In most cases, it's not good to have undertank heating. There are a few exceptions. For example, if you live in an area, where the ground temps can exceed freezing and you have to house your large reptiles outside, then you definitely have to have some for of heating. Many people choose run heated water under the floors in order to do this. It's very expensive though and of course, not ideal. But you have to do what works.

I sure this type of scenario doesn't apply to you, but I thought I'd point it out.

-Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980