• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just got 25 eggs!!

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
My tegus finally laid today and I got 25 eggs theres is a handful that look like duds.Ill post pics soon.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
Thanks here are some pics not the best but it will do. This is the first thing I have breed too so Im excited :-D

When I first found them
P1010008-3.jpg

After I pulled them out
P1010009.jpg

And before I stuck them in the incubator
( Some look to be duds, The stuff on the eggs is hay from inside of the cage. How should I clean them up?)
P1010010.jpg

Wil

5 Year Member
Not to be negative, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Most if not all of those eggs aren't good.
As for cleaning them, I don't clean eggs.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
wil said:
Not to be negative, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Most if not all of those eggs aren't good.
As for cleaning them, I don't clean eggs.
OK, how long should I wait to tell weather or not that they are all bad?

Wil

5 Year Member
It shouldn't take long for them to start growing mold. Also the ones that are yellow and somewhat hard are infertile. If you candle them and don't see a blood ring within a week or so, they're bad.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
wil said:
It shouldn't take long for them to start growing mold. Also the ones that are yellow and somewhat hard are infertile. If you candle them and don't see a blood ring within a week or so, they're bad.
OK by candling do you put a light to the egg so you can see in?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't forget to think about what you're going to do with 25 to 50 baby Tegu's when they hatch and how you're going to sell them. There aren't a lot of Tegu breeders because there isn't a big market for them. Bobby is the biggest by far and has a loyal fan base. You'll have a hard time selling them here. I breed Blue Tegu's because there are only a few small breeders and some demand for them.

Wil

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
DaveDragon said:
Good luck man!! Doesn't look good though.
Thanks. There is always next year, but next year Im going to try a different female too.
Thats a good attitude to have. Learn from your mistakes and you'll get there.

Wil

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Don't forget to think about what you're going to do with 25 to 50 baby Tegu's when they hatch and how you're going to sell them. There aren't a lot of Tegu breeders because there isn't a big market for them. Bobby is the biggest by far and has a loyal fan base. You'll have a hard time selling them here. I breed Blue Tegu's because there are only a few small breeders and some demand for them.

If there was no demand for them, why is there a market for farmed babies? Also there are a lot more people breeding tegus than you may realize. I can think of 8 or so just off the top of my head. Bert supplied thousands of them for many years. I breed blues because they are fascinating and beautiful creatures not because of a market that may or may not be there.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Trying to get rid of them wouldnt be to hard for me. Ive talked to a few places and all of them said they would buy my whole clutch if I had any babies.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wil said:

I agree Wil, on what you said except the part about the blood ring. It is seen most of the time, but it can be low on the sides sometimes and not seen when candled. As long as the egg looks firm and free from white fuzzy mold then it is good. Black/ blue mold can develop on a fertile egg if the humidity is too high, but the white cotton mold only develops on infertile eggs.

Wil

5 Year Member
I turn the eggs to where the blood ring will form near the top. I should have clarified that. I have also observed that the black/blue/green mold that is wet in nature usually develops when an egg dies. There is a big difference between an egg being fertile and an egg being viable.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wil said:
I turn the eggs to where the blood ring will form near the top. I should have clarified that. I have also observed that the black/blue/green mold that is wet in nature usually develops when an egg dies. There is a big difference between an egg being fertile and an egg being viable.

Yes but the Black mold that is black/blue/green mold can develop on any egg if the humidity is too high. If the eggs are kept too wet, this mold will develop regardless if the egg is alive, fertile or infertile. I have seen eggs hatch that had the Black mold on them. The white fuzzy/cotton mold only develops on eggs that are not fertile.

Wil

5 Year Member
Are you talking about dry or wet mold? I am speaking of a wet mold that forms on the egg. Had it happen this year with a clutch of womas, the eggs were fertile but the embryos died in development. It was certainly not because of high humidity though or because they were wet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980