• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just got 25 eggs!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wil said:
Are you talking about dry or wet mold? I am speaking of a wet mold that forms on the egg. Had it happen this year with a clutch of womas, the eggs were fertile but the embryos died in development. It was certainly not because of high humidity though or because they were wet.

There are two types of mold that grow on reptile eggs, one is known as cotton mold (Aspergillus Fumigatus), this is seen as white cotton, stringy fibers. The other is known as Black mold or Mildew (Strachybotrys chartarum) it has a slimy, greenish, bluish, black texture most of the time.

Eggs that have cotton mold (Aspergillus Fumigatus), are infertile 100% of the time and can be discarded as soon as the mold is seen.

Eggs that are beginning to grow Black mold (Aspergillus Fumigatus), may be too wet, although excessive moisture is not always the cause. The sometimes-wet looking Black/Blue/Green mold that is known as Black mold or mildew. It can be found on fertile eggs and infertile eggs. Most often it is caused by too much humidity, however there are other causes. Bacteria can be the cause as well. Sometimes by using an organic media such as soil, moss, peat or coconut bedding. These substrates can harbor bacteria and mold can be living in these organic mixes before you even add your eggs. I use a sealed container, however I open them at least every other day. The air can become stagnant, which can promote condensation and growth mold and bacteria. If you think your eggs are in appropriate substrate with correct moisture, and you believe they are in fact fertile despite fungal growth, you can treat the mold with a very small amount of athlete's foot powder. Apply the powder to the mold on the eggs in very small amounts every other day for 6-8 days. Watch for any signs of drying in the egg, as the powder can dry the eggs a bit. This is seen as denting in the eggs, all that is needed then is to raise the humidity a bit. Do not pour water on the eggs, but add it around the eggs or spray around them. It is best make sure your humidity is correct before assuming the eggs are bad. You should regularly check not only the temperature in the incubator, but the condition of the eggs as well. Eggs that are too hot, cold, wet, or dry can all go bad at different stages of incubation, and you need to be aware if this starts to happen.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
Well out of my 25 eggs 21 have mold so I threw those away. I got 4 left do maybe Ill be lucky with them. When should I candle the remaining 4?

Wil

5 Year Member
There are many types of molds and fungus that can grow on eggs, but healthy eggs should not develop any growth. Black mold and mildew are not the same. Also I would doubt actual black mold to be found on eggs, what people think is black mold in homes is usually something else. Black mold is toxic and can kill a person.

The purpose of opening the egg box lid isn't so much to prevent condensation but more so to promote good gas exchange. This is very important in the end stages of incubation.

Incubation isn't an exact science and what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else. I tend to experiment more than others as I am always searching for a better egg box or method.

brutus13

Just FYI you might to keep the moving of those eggs to a minimum. Really just incubate what you have and you will know when they go bad by either mold or they will just sink in. If you rotate those eggs alot you will drown the embryos and lose them all.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wil said:
There are many types of molds and fungus that can grow on eggs, but healthy eggs should not develop any growth. Black mold and mildew are not the same. Also I would doubt actual black mold to be found on eggs, what people think is black mold in homes is usually something else. Black mold is toxic and can kill a person.

The purpose of opening the egg box lid isn't so much to prevent condensation but more so to promote good gas exchange. This is very important in the end stages of incubation.

Incubation isn't an exact science and what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else. I tend to experiment more than others as I am always searching for a better egg box or method.

Black mold in this case is common name used in the reptile trade to describe the black/blue/green mold seen on eggs in the incubator. And you are wrong about the mildew:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew</a><!-- m -->

Mildew refers to certain kinds of mold or fungus. In Old English, it meant honeydew (a substance secreted by aphids on leaves, formerly thought to distill from the air like dew), and later came to mean mildew in the modern sense.[1]

The term mildew is often used generically to refer to mold growth, usually with a flat growth habit. Molds can thrive on many organic materials, including clothing, leather, paper, and the ceilings, walls and floors of homes with moisture management problems.

As for opening the boxes, it is important throughout the incubation period, the embryo breaths through the egg, and the need for fresh air is needed throughout incubation, not just in the latter stages.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is some helpful information on Aspergillus Fumigatus, keep in mind this was done on poultry eggs, but it is the same concept:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/79/11/1536.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/79/11/1536.pdf</a><!-- m -->

fireimp141

Lol well y'all know way more than we do so we are just taking in the info =P I didn't know that eggs grew mold, let alone different colors lol.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
fireimp141 said:
Lol well y'all know way more than we do so we are just taking in the info =P I didn't know that eggs grew mold, let alone different colors lol.

No problem. :)

Wil

5 Year Member
How am I wrong about mildew? Mildew isn't toxic black mold, period.

And yes an egg needs gas exchange the whole incubation period, but there is a tremendous amount of exchange at the end near hatching, hence the formation of more condensation at the end.

Compared to the size of an egg, there is a tremendous amount of energy that goes on inside. Hatching out reptiles never ceases to amaze me, whether it be a leopard gecko, a snake, or a tegu. I feel that I am obligated to these magnificent lizards to learn as much as I possibly can through observation. Anyone can use google, but I tend to learn more by just watching them. I will always say that I didn't choose to work with tegus, they chose me.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wil, did you read my last post?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew</a><!-- m -->

Quote:
Mildew refers to certain kinds of mold or fungus. In Old English, it meant honeydew (a substance secreted by aphids on leaves, formerly thought to distill from the air like dew), and later came to mean mildew in the modern sense.[1]

The term mildew is often used generically to refer to mold growth, usually with a flat growth habit. Molds can thrive on many organic materials, including clothing, leather, paper, and the ceilings, walls and floors of homes with moisture management problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980