• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

NERD hatches an Albino Water Monitor!!!

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
hoosier said:
leoares27 said:
and (this i'm not sure of) doesn't inbreeding usually have to occur to make albino babies since both parents have to be carriers to produce a baby with actual abinism?

i dont believe that it necessarily inbreeding that causes it. both parents have to be a carrier yes but they can be unrelated aswell. its pretty much like any genetic disorder in humans. unrelated or related the gene can be passed on as long as both parents have the gene.

Nice thought Matt, but it is just not true, look at all of the morphs they have made, do you think they were made without inbreeding? Nope they breed siblings to hit those genes.

Sad isnt it?

When I first got into tegu's, a gentlemen from another site much like this one sold me a 1.1 Blue tegu pair (brother and sister). The gentlemen insisted that you can breed the brother and sister together and get perfect tegus, just dont breed baies back to the parents. I NEVER bred them together. I believe its wrong for even brother and sister to breed, but thats just my opinion

BSM

5 Year Member
The only reason their is some health issues in albinos or any other morph in reptiles is because of the intense inbreeding of animals just to make money. Most breeders of morphs just want to produce the most they can in the shortest amount of time then sell them and skip the outbreeding part because all they want is quick money instead of going the extra mile.
Inbreeding for 1 or 2 generations is ok but i only agree with that when there is a limited gene pool(ex. Ackies,flavi) not something that is commonly avaible (geckos,snakes in general). they need to get unreleated or WC animals to give a better genes to the babies and will produce healthier animals

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
When I first got into tegu's, a gentlemen from another site much like this one sold me a 1.1 Blue tegu pair (brother and sister). The gentlemen insisted that you can breed the brother and sister together and get perfect tegus, just dont breed baies back to the parents. I NEVER bred them together. I believe its wrong for even brother and sister to breed, but thats just my opinion
I'm planning on trading with wil to have a breeding pair for 3 years from now. Then I won't be breeding brother to sister, probably cousin to cousin at the closest.

hoosier

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
hoosier said:
leoares27 said:
and (this i'm not sure of) doesn't inbreeding usually have to occur to make albino babies since both parents have to be carriers to produce a baby with actual abinism?

i dont believe that it necessarily inbreeding that causes it. both parents have to be a carrier yes but they can be unrelated aswell. its pretty much like any genetic disorder in humans. unrelated or related the gene can be passed on as long as both parents have the gene.

Nice thought Matt, but it is just not true, look at all of the morphs they have made, do you think they were made without inbreeding? Nope they breed siblings to hit those genes.

oh i know they do. its just some genes can be passed down from unrelated parents as well.

and yes rehabralphy, they really are lol i cant wait to take that class next year. i'm gonna be so confused :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus