• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Cuban Rock Iguana

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is Spike! I bought the 5 year old male Cuban Rock Iguana & 6ft x 3ft x 3ft cage from aj12790 on Sunday. It was a long day, about 120 miles each way. It was a real pain in the butt getting the cage in the house. We had to walk it up the back stairs and remove both doors of the sliding glass doors for 10-15 minutes (in 30 degree weather!), but we finally got it in.

My wife gave him a long shower/bath to remove all the shed. He's still not sure about me. He came to the door of the cage a couple of time but mostly he stays back.

My wife came home after work on Monday to find him basking in the sun on the top of the couch!! He knows how to open the sliding glass doors!! I stuck a rubber grip pencil between the glass panels and I hope that keeps him in. I need to find a simple latch that isn't removable. I bought a couple of different childproof latches for cabinet drawers & doors, none of them will fit. I'll have to think about it and hope the pencil keeps him in. ANY IDEAS????

IMG_1654_.jpg

IMG_1646_.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hoosier said:
BEAUTIFUL iguana!!!!!! :shock:
THANKS!!! He's not as big as he looks, only about 40", but I haven't officially weighed or measured him. But he's MUCH bigger than our female.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang, I'm so jealous. I've been itching to get into the rock iggy's for the longest time but just can't justify getting them yet! One day. He looks great! how is that female doing anyways?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mschuld said:
He looks pretty happy. Are you considering trying to breed your pair?
He's much bigger than her, I'd guess she's 2-3 lbs and he must be 7-8 lbs.

The biggest problem so far is we can't keep him in the enclosure. My rubber grip pen between the glass hasn't fooled him. He got out again this afternoon.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Dang, I'm so jealous. I've been itching to get into the rock iggy's for the longest time but just can't justify getting them yet! One day. He looks great! how is that female doing anyways?
She's doing good, and slowly growing as cylura do. We just fell into them. We've got one more coming!!! I'm trading the last baby Blue Tegu for a 12" Blue/Cuban hybrid. If it's a male (won't know for a year or so) he could mate with our female.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
WOW! What a surprise! You were sitting on the fence making a decision on the smaller one and you bought an young adult, as well! Congrats!

Are the doors on the enclosure bypass sliding glass? If you this is the lock that you need. You can probably find one at any home improvement store for about $5.
http://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?s=Ao

msadd.gif

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
WOW! What a surprise! You were sitting on the fence making a decision on the smaller one and you bought an young adult, as well! Congrats!

Are the doors on the enclosure bypass sliding glass? If you this is the lock that you need. You can probably find one at any home improvement store for about $5.
http://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?s=Ao

msadd.gif
It came with the receiver on the glass but not the lock. The problem is it is 1" wide and all the ones I found were narrower. I'd have to pry it off (or use solvent) and put on a new one. With kids in the house I'd rather not have removable parts (especially the key) for them to lose. There's an area in the bottom track that houses the rollers that I can drill a 1/4" hole and use a locking pin. That will keep the doors closed. I can add a string or cable to attach it to the enclosure so it won't disappear.

http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/qr_14_balllock-b.html

BSM

5 Year Member
Nice
those eyes on that rock are creepy ;)
Maybe one day i will get back into these, uros, and tortoises but for now ill stick with the monitors.

Bryan

Beasty

5 Year Member
Right on Dave! He's a pretty boy!
I'll be glad when my remaining hybrid is bigger. It grew like magic when I changed the cage to a larger one. It like doubled size in a couple months! So, your girl could catch up out of nowhere.
Good luck on that locking system, Rocks are smart and Big fans of free roaming!
I'm so excited about getting that lil blue tegu from you! (I'm GISHerps, BTW)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
Right on Dave! He's a pretty boy!
I'll be glad when my remaining hybrid is bigger. It grew like magic when I changed the cage to a larger one. It like doubled size in a couple months! So, your girl could catch up out of nowhere.
Good luck on that locking system, Rocks are smart and Big fans of free roaming!
I'm so excited about getting that lil blue tegu from you! (I'm GISHerps, BTW)
Thanks!!

The lil Blue will be in the mail tomorrow!! See your PM on thetegu.com.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
My wife came home after work on Monday to find him basking in the sun on the top of the couch!!

That's awesome, he's checking out his new dig hahaha. :mrgreen: Although, I'm glad he's not escaping on you still.

He is SO VERY handsome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980