• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Cuban Rock Iguana

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
That's awesome, he's checking out his new dig hahaha. :mrgreen: Although, I'm glad he's not escaping on you still.

He is SO VERY handsome!
Thanks!!! He didn't get out today. I talked to him for about 1/2 an hour and pet him once in a while so he's get used to my touch. Many times he'd stand up in a defensive posture. He finally walked out onto and over me. I kept him on the couch for a while and he finally got me turned the wrong way and got off. When I grabbed him he thrashed like no animal I've every seen, it worked, he got away. He stopped a few feet away. I pet him and talked to him. I tried picking him up again with similar results. After 3 tries I carefully put him home. Only a few minor scratches (me!). I'll work with him most days and he'll get used to me. Unfortunately I need to feed some snakes and I've spent too much time with him. The rest of the family is sick with the flu so I'm left to do it myself.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's a few new pics.

IMG_1675_.jpg

IMG_1666_.jpg

IMG_1668_.jpg

IMG_1670_.jpg

IMG_1673_.jpg

Any bets on if he's a Cayman Blue/Cuban hybrid and how much???

Beasty

5 Year Member
I'm no expert but I'd say 100% pure to 90% pure. LOTS of red on him, yeah, he's a looker for sure. At least he's good lookin if the wife is gonna have a new "boy friend". ;)
AH! Try that question with pix over at kingsnake Cyclura forum! There ya might be able to get a more definitive answer. Also, a regular incandecent and/or fluorescent lighting shot might help. The green from the MVB kinda throws off the coloring.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I don't believe there is any lewisi influence there, but it could be a Cuban/Caymanensis cross. Regardless, it's a beautiful animal.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
I don't believe there is any lewisi influence there, but it could be a Cuban/Caymanensis cross. Regardless, it's a beautiful animal.
Thanks!! The grey on his head and neck are Camanensis traits? Yes, he is good looking and he knows it!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's a pic of his enclosure with his girlfriend to the left. On top to the left will go the Cayman Blue/Cuban hybrid, and to the right is the "runt" baby Blue Tegu. He's going to be staying a while longer with us. He's no where near as aggressive an eater as the others were. He ate 2 pinkies today though.

IMG_1685_.jpg

Beasty

5 Year Member
Is that a 40 breeder for the lil lewisi hybrid? That should work for a while. I kept the other one in a 20L for it's 1st 10 months or so, then upgraded to a 55 and it had a major growth explosion and doubled size in a couple months. He's in a 55 now but doesn't use it much that I've seen, 'cept to run when I go to get him out! Think I'll give him a good bath tomorrow to get ready for his trip.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
Is that a 40 breeder for the lil lewisi hybrid? That should work for a while. I kept the other one in a 20L for it's 1st 10 months or so, then upgraded to a 55 and it had a major growth explosion and doubled size in a couple months. He's in a 55 now but doesn't use it much that I've seen, 'cept to run when I go to get him out! Think I'll give him a good bath tomorrow to get ready for his trip.
YEP!! I was figuring on up to a year old in there, they grow so slow. I'll have a 75G available when I build a 4ft x 2ft enclosure for our 26" adult female Blue Tegu, she's not going to get any bigger.

What are you using for the substrate for the hybrid? Don't feed him tomorrow so hopefully he doesn't poop while shipping.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Perfect!
I use some cypress like stuff I found here and dirt which works but cypress is good for pretty much everything I found.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Here's a pic of his enclosure with his girlfriend to the left. On top to the left will go the Cayman Blue/Cuban hybrid, and to the right is the "runt" baby Blue Tegu. He's going to be staying a while longer with us. He's no where near as aggressive an eater as the others were. He ate 2 pinkies today though.

It's good to see you still have Peanut. I was just thinking about him and wondered if you still had him. Cool.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
DaveDragon said:

It's good to see you still have Peanut. I was just thinking about him and wondered if you still had him. Cool.
He will be hanging around for a few weeks more until the weather gets a bit warmer and we're going to fatten him up a bit more.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The Spike is allowed to walk all over the house during the day. The cat and dog ignore him and he ignores them. It's a nice arrangement. He tends to hang out on the top of the couch or a spot in our bedroom in the afternoon sun.

Today my wife found him on our bed!!! I've seen him easy climb up onto the couch but the bed is another 6" to 8" higher. I guess we're going to have to close our door to keep him from possibly peeing on the bed.

Yesterday I was eating pizza at the living room table and Spike came down to see what I was doing. He stood next to me as I rubbed his chin and head. Then he turn and walked up the front of our 9 year old son to get to his pizza!!! I HAD TO PULL HIM OFF OF THE KIDS HEAD AND CHEST!! He knows I won't stand for him trying to take my food. He did the same thing to him a couple other times!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
The Spike is allowed to walk all over the house during the day. The cat and dog ignore him and he ignores them. It's a nice arrangement. He tends to hang out on the top of the couch or a spot in our bedroom in the afternoon sun.

Today my wife found him on our bed!!! I've seen him easy climb up onto the couch but the bed is another 6" to 8" higher. I guess we're going to have to close our door to keep him from possibly peeing on the bed.

Yesterday I was eating pizza at the living room table and Spike came down to see what I was doing. He stood next to me as I rubbed his chin and head. Then he turn and walked up the front of our 9 year old son to get to his pizza!!! I HAD TO PULL HIM OFF OF THE KIDS HEAD AND CHEST!! He knows I won't stand for him trying to take my food. He did the same thing to him a couple other times!

Man, he's really making himself a member of the family!!! That's so cool that you can let him out all day long and no one bothers him and he doesn't get lost! Maybe you should get him a vegetarian pizza for himself next time haha. Oh man, I'm so jealous!!! I want him!!! hahaha

We have one of those platform beds and Lucky ALWAYS jumps up there and goes to sleep. We're thinking about getting him his own personal memory foam because he likes ours so much! ...he pretty much knows to get off when he has to poo but sometimes he has trouble getting back down.

mastroj

Great looking iguana dave. I would love to come and check him out some time. HArris in wonderland has a rock iguana but he is far from tame.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TRoca said:
Hey Dave do you have any babies for sale?
No, I won't breed them. Our male Cuban is three times the weight of our females, he would rip them apart while mating. They recommend breeding with a male that is slightly smaller than the female in case she's not interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980