• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Sav i need some help

Adam87

5 Year Member
ok so hes 2 feet and at the expo they said he was 2 yrs old, hes really tame and they also said that he was on a frozen diet ive had him for about 2 days now i kno they need a grace period to get use to there invoriment for the past 2 days ive been ting to feed in frozen mice and other things as well and hes not eating im a bit concerned help please

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
no worries. its normal for reptiles not to eat right away. im sure the mice are thawed out when offering them to your sav right? you need to thaw them out for a while and make sure the guts are not a giant ice cube. if it dosnt eat in a few weeks or month then something eles is going on. hope this help!!

Adam87

5 Year Member
yea i figured that much that he would need some time and im hoping thats all it is and yes i thaw them out haha but if he doesnt eat by the end of the week im going to look into a reptile vet but thanx for the response

Beazer

5 Year Member
What is his set up like? If you can post a picture up of the cage and the animal as soon as possible, thatd be great too. Also, keep in mind, many people often over feed their monitors. Especially Savannahs. And I am just making sure cause I've seen it before lol, are you making sure to thaw the mice out? One more thing, a varied diet for monitors is the best diet.

-Jon DeLong

Adam87

5 Year Member
well alot of ppl would probably shoot me for this one but hes Temparaly in a 40gallon with my next check coming hes goin in 6x3x3 and im changing his substrate tomarrow from cypress to playsand mixed with dirt from what i hear thats the best for savs and as far as over eating he hasnt eatin at all since i got him and the guy that sold it to me said he hadnt eatin all day the ambian temp is 84 his basking spot is 110

Jolio

5 Year Member
SO you have a 2ft monitor in a 3ft tank (if conversion tables are right)?

Why would you buy any animal if you dont have a suitable place for it to live?

you say that its tame? How do you know? Just cos some guy at an expo has told you it is, when no doubt the poor things has been away from heat for a number of hours, 'it will seem tame' also know as cold and docile!!

If its diet has been vertibrae then unfocrunately this monitor will most likely die an ealry death. Varanus exanthamaticus in the wild feed on around 99% inverts ie insects, moluscs, etc.

A study of wild 'Bosc's' showed that out 2000 stomach/feacal samples taken only one was shown to have signs of vertibrae (mice)!!

There is a wealth of information about these guys out there, but for most it is an impulse buy.

Any how Back to your set up......

These monitors live in grasslands in africa NOT the dessert, they live underground in burrows, this needs to be represtented in substrate we provide - good old dirt.
They live near a ready available water source, and YES they require an amount of humidity, which they get a good gradient in their tunnels and burrows.

A glass tank will not provide the humidity that they need, unless you have managed to seal the top opening, which will then mean you have no ventilation.

In the wild they slow down and rest throughout the dry season that hits africa (a lot like a lot of other native animals), which why in captivity we need to keep the humidity and water levels up - otherwise they stop eating.

These guys can go months without eating, easy.

Next up, the basking temps aren't hot enough. They can be upwards of 125F.

Are you providing UV - its not essential, but why not? They like to bask in the sun, so surely can benefit from UVB.

HOw many hides do you have?
They need lots, to feel secure and safe. They like to cram and compact themselves into the tightest of places.

If you think this is too harsh then i've provided a link to a very simple but effective website.

Read it, digest it, read it again. Then have a good hard look at what you have got, what you will need.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.savannahmonitor.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.savannahmonitor.org/</a><!-- m -->

But seriously why go and buy something you have no clue about?

pottymouth

5 Year Member
Little hasty i think^ now not when most convienent to buy a medium sized monitor whithout proper caging but its already done. he cam for help not a lecture
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.anapsid.org/savannah.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.anapsid.org/savannah.html</a><!-- m --> this is a good article ^ these facts have long been outdated savannah monitors live perfectly healthy lives on rats and mice if you have seen adult WC Bosc they are usually real small because of there limitted food source insects etc.. give this a good read and you be off to a good start.

Jolio

5 Year Member
^ yet more generic internet pages. yes there is some good info on here, but a LOT of crap too that is false.

How can a monitor that lives in a burrow that it has either dug or taken over, make the such in reptile carpet.

This web page as with most talking about exanthamaticus as well as white/black throats. and confusing both and their husbandry needs.

More research is needed. FACT.

Yes, so what i gave a lecture, but tell me this how long DO you think a bosc should/can live?
Because on a rodent diet they can be become very obese, very quick and suffer from a painful, slow death from liver failure due to fatty deposits.

We were asked the reason the bosc may not be eating.
I replied with some further reading of an animal that had been taken on on impusle and some answers....
Humidity, heat, size of enclosure, substrate and diet.
Not to mention who knows where the monitor had come from in first place.

Jolio

5 Year Member
Please read here.........

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/119922-so-want-sav.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/ ... t-sav.html</a><!-- m -->

Beazer

5 Year Member
Well I would like to first start off. Jolio you do have very good strong points. But just be careful how you make em. People like that just discourage people from even listening and gives the whole "holier than thou" attitude which is what we discourage. Just try to help the guy out, if a person is being more of a moron and not listening, then by all means rip them a new one, but give them a chance.

I would have to say UV is very assential. I am not sure who was the first moron to make the claim that UV isnt essential in Varanids. I mean, seriously, if the animal basks with such high temps, UV must surley be important to them? Hopefully thats not one of Rete's claims cause too many people look up to him.

But yeah, Adam, thanks for giving us the information to help correct everything. Yeah, the husbandry and everything needs to change and you have a little bit more to read on, but just be sure to do it ASAP. Its good you are asking questions. Which shows you arent just going off the web (which often has articles written by complete morons). Please post more questions and don't feel discouraged.

And Jolio, monitors sound like a part of your passion, but please remember you gotta be a lil bit nicer about it and people will be more likely to listen and thats one thing we do try to stress here on the forums. Just gotta love how the monitor people are the "aggressive" posters lol. Monitors are definitely one of my passions in the hobby.

-Jon DeLong

Jolio

5 Year Member
Beazer - point taken.

Its only the passion that leads me that way. I dont mean to lecture, but once i start i cant stop.

I dont mean to come accross as a know it all, but we just have to be careful as there is an awful lot of crap out there nt just about herps, but about everything.

This tegu site has to be one of the most informative sites i've ever had the pleasure of using. I just wish there was a similar one for every species.

Original OP, please read read read, evrything and everyhting you can. Please dont let another beautiful monitor perrish due to misinformation.

I will step down now from my soap box.

Adam87

5 Year Member
thanx everyone i all is being taken into comsideration but the most important thing is My Sav haha ok Im building him a encloser 6x3x3 is basking is 110 and YES UV is provided idc what anyone says i will provide UVB/UVA for any reptile and hes now in playsand/topsoil with nothing added and its deep enough where is he wanted to dig he could

well ive tried everything i could live mice superworms and frozen so tomorrow hes going to a reptile vet near me

and could it be at all possible that he could actually be a she and preggo and thats why shes not eating?

i did do reasearch on savs i just didnt kno i would be in this little scuffle

hes got a hide and i give him nice warm baths every couple days but i will take alook at all ur websites u provided and thank you all for your help once he improves ill give u an update

and plus i went to the expo with the intentions of getting a Tegu but they didnt have any and when i saw Larry my Sav it felt right just like with my rescued Iguana but again thanx

Beazer

5 Year Member
Adam, it could be also that you are around it too much, though taking it to a vet is a good idea, I would also try just giving it some "alone time" and skip the warm baths and what not. Let it hide and adjust for a couple weeks. Check up on it with a peak just to make sure it hasn't pooed and that it has fresh water and avoid giving it meals for 5 days. And try to get that basking temp to around 125, 110 is still too low. Also, use a red light or ceramic heat emitter to provide night time basking as its colder now and you dont want to leave daylights on 24/7. Best of luck.

-Jon DeLong

Adam87

5 Year Member
thanx i got a 150 watt bulb in there now and im starting construction on his new home tomarrow but ill deffenatly take ur adice i read that this dudes Sav went with out eating for a soild year and was perfectly healthy but i also noticed that hes got a limp when he walks

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
OMG dont take him to a vet yet.. For god sakes, save your money :doh

I have a Savannah Monitor 2 feet and have had the same problem and fixed it... so Im going to give my opinion.

First of all, my guy/girl is 2 feet and less than one year old, and far from tame... yet.

Now, I agree with Jolio.. great points :-D

It is NORMAL for a Sav not to eat for at least a week after being moved to a new home. When I moved mine to a bigger tank it took him/her a week or so to get back to normal and start eating again, even with the tank arranged the exact same way.. this is NORMAL

ALSO.. This is very important to my monitor... he/she is very stressed with movement outside the tank.. so I have all 4 sides of the tank covered with aquarium background until I move him/her to a quieter room (happening in a few days)..

And again.. basking spot should be higher.. make sure he/she gets plenty of water and no handling and stay away from the tank as much as you can... hands in the tank and such will only cause stress and a vet will cause more stress and then you will delay the settling/eating even more.
And 2 hides one on the cool side and one on the warm side.
Personally, I dont like sand.. I use dirt.

You need to be more patient... but its good to see you're concerned

Adam87

5 Year Member
thanx but i already took him and im very glad i did cause yes they told me give him time and space but..... they found a Tick underneath his tail and he had cuts by his finger nails so i got antibiotics for the tick thing and so theres no enfections and he just moved into his brand new 6x3x3 cage and hes moving around alot his basking temp is well over 120 and the ambian temp is 90 with 70% hummnity so i guess now i just have to wait for him to want to eat

Thanx so much everyone for ur opionions and everything else its been a great help

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
they gave you antibiotics for the tick? Like ivermectin or flagyl? I took my snake to the vet one time for mites and he sent me home with nothing and told me to treat all my reptiles with vegetable oil.. i wasnt impressed.. and it didnt work.
Let us know when he starts eating!! You should post some pics too :)

Adam87

5 Year Member
I will once i get my camara workin but the vet i went were very nice and had lots of info and showed they cared they even put a heat lamp on him when he was on the exam table they gave me Metacam and enrofloxacin ones for the tick bite and the other is to prevent infection cause of his toe nail

Beazer

5 Year Member
Sometimes vets can be like used car dealers. A lot of self proclaimed reptile vets suck. If you can, try to ask around your local herp societies and see if they recommend a vet. It kind of sounds like he was taking you for a ride.

Its a good think you did take it to a vet though, just incase. I have known a few people who've waited with "fat" savannahs and found out they were egg bound females and in need of (I forget the shots?) that help enduce the female to lay. I believe maybe they were a type of vitamin to make her lay? or the liquid vitamins were administered afterwards? and if treated sooner there may have been a chance. Or just found out that the animal was severly deprived of calcium and proper nutrients and needed proper injections. I wish I still knew there names, but there was a group of really advanced monitor keepers I use to know and they knew all the forums of tests that need to be done immediately. By any chance did they do blood work of any sort and did they preform any X-rays?

Best of luck to your lil guy and I hope he does great.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus