• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Odd Loreal scale...

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
My tegu has one loreal scale on one side and 2 on the other. Odd.... lol what do u ppl think he is? :?: :?:

Jer723

5 Year Member
well if u have a photobucket you can just upload them to photobucket and then take the img code and paste it in to your reply, thats how i do it. i dont really kno how to do it any other way.

Jer723

5 Year Member
i really dont know it just looks like an extra scale i dont think theres anything different about him but i have got to tell you that is a beautiful tegu, how old is it?

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
Yep argentine B&W's & reds are supposed to have 2. Colombians have 1. So I'm not too sure what he is. And I dont know how old he is. I bought him in December and he was about a foot or so then. Now he is (i think) 2 foot.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My vote goes for argentine as well. If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me I'm seeing some beading in his scales, columbians are more smooth I believe.

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
JohnMatthew said:
My vote goes for argentine as well. If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me I'm seeing some beading in his scales, columbians are more smooth I believe.
Yep ur right, his scales are beaded, although on the single loreal scale side one half is sort of darker than the other

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
I say you have an argentine "freak" on your handsLOL. but theres nothing wrong with that. I wouldnt think theres columbian blood i just think when he developed he only has one scale. There plenty of other features supporting that he is arg. Hes just a fluke. I mean its really amazing and value wise he has some extra value probably, not suggesting u sell him of course! What a stoker!

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
VenomVipe said:
I say you have an argentine "freak" on your handsLOL. but theres nothing wrong with that. I wouldnt think theres columbian blood i just think when he developed he only has one scale. There plenty of other features supporting that he is arg. Hes just a fluke. I mean its really amazing and value wise he has some extra value probably, not suggesting u sell him of course! What a stoker!
LOL

and I will never sell him!

carcharios

5 Year Member
I took some pics of my no-name Tegu that I got from PETCO last Saturday. It was apparently a "corporate order" and they rarely get these guys in. You'll see that he or she is definitely an Argentine Tegu based on the skin pattern, etc. but the loreal scale is really hard to differentiate into two scales - you'll see that it appears to be one scale, which is not indicative of Argentines. Also, on one side of his or her head, the loreal scale has what appears to be a grainy reddish substance on it - almost as if it did not shed properly or had been injured. Aside from this, the Tegu looks healthy and is very active - when I wake it up from it's slumber. I think this little guy is still in partial hibernation mode because he or she has been sleeping an awful lot. Anyway, would love to know what you guys think about the loreal scale on this little guy. Enjoy the pics...

New Member, Carcharios

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
Might have a columbian/argentine mix. Tegus that size should have some green markings... strange, mine is still a tiny bit green and he is much bigger than urs.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is 100% Argentine, there is no doubt.

As for sleeping a lot, you might need to see a vet and let them check for parasites, I will bet it is an import. How much were they charging for them at petco?

carcharios

5 Year Member
They were charging $100 and with the coupon I found online, I got him for $80. I've never seen an Argentine Tegu before in PETCO and I go there all the time for feeder fish. The woman who works reptiles said the tegu was a "corporate order" and that they can't special order these guys once they're gone. They had two in stock initially but a girl purchased the larger of the two a few weeks before I got my guy.

I visited the store twice to handle the tegu and it was extremely gentle and had a great temperment....still does in fact.

Again, like I said, the Tegu's pattern and porportions are definitely Argentine Black and White but the Loreal scale is odd. It's really difficult to ID because it's not one solid scale like the Columbians but at the same time, it doesn't resemble the two loreal scales as seen in the typical Argentine's. I've seen some pics of Blues on this site where their loreal scales are irregular - maybe this little guy is a Blue & Black and White hybrid? Any thoughts? Is that even possible?

Carcharios

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029