• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

R.I.P Zeus

Odonata

Very sorry to hear about this, may Zeus rest in peace.

With regards to the temperature 100 degrees does not sound desperately hot. But if that is a guess and not a verified temperature I would tend to think it was probably considerably hotter. The bigger issue I would imagine is significant change in temperature. I bath my tegu, and when I do he is typically lying on his basking platform that is anywhere from 100-110 surface temperature, so going into 95-100 degree water seems quite appropriate. However if there is a rapid change in temperature, say going from 80 to 100 without gradual warming it could cause the tegu to go into shock.

I understand the argument that baths are not a necessity. I think there is likely some individuality as to whether tegus enjoy spending time in water or not. Some lay in their water dishes quite regularly if they are big enough, and others avoid water larger than a droplet on a leaf. My tegu does not demonstrate any stress in the water, swims under the water in the deep end, and always comes out of the water willing to be held and explore his surroundings as opposed to wanting to hide which would be typical if it were a bad experience.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
He went into shock.or had a seizure in the tub because he is always in the bath in the same temperature I think it was just the rapid change

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Steven.

Re: RE: R.I.P Zeus

KABIKANO said:
Steven. said:
KABIKANO said:
Its gonna take some time. I love all my pets to the fullest and its always hard to lose one. Keep your head up, it will get better but u need to go through the grieving process. If u need anything just ask. I may have kame off like a **** before but its only kuz i got love for animals. Be easy...

sent from my phone to your eyes

chitodadon said:
Its all Hood homie I feel the sane for all my pets and others

Aww we all ganstas in this place lol.

Oh you think you funny mutha flower? Hmm? Aight then, NO XTREME BLUE FIRE for you Steve!!! What you think about that? Not laughing now is you? Huh?

Lol nooooo i want one.. Please please!!! Lol

tegus4life

If you think about the temperature of water a tegu would be in if it were living in the wild though, I doubt it'd find water warmer than 70 or 75 degrees. I think the basking spot and the water temp are more different than they seem. Either way, that's very sad to hear.
RIP Zeus

Johnnydr

I give my tegu a bath about 3 times a week....I'm not sure when bathing your tegu became a nono. She is pretty much trained to poo in the tub.

KABIKANO

Johnnydr said:
I give my tegu a bath about 3 times a week....I'm not sure when bathing your tegu became a nono. She is pretty much trained to poo in the tub.

[size=large]IT'S NOT THE BATH THAT'S A NO NO, IT'S THE LEAVING IT UNATTENDED WITH A CHILD THAT'S A NO NO.[/size]

larissalurid

TegusRawsome80 said:
I honestly don't think you're ready for a tegu. Besides what the above posts says, I would like to add that baths are NOT necessary if you have a proper setup. I think they not only stress the animal out but also are clearly dangerous if improperly done. I hate to be mean but you caused the death of the first one. Why rush into another? I don't see the rationale behind your thinking in the I need another approach. You screwed up and it is time to take responsibility and ensure that you actually know what you're doing to the point that you can properly care for another.

I agree.

You wouldn't let a child give an infant a bath alone, so never let them do it with an animal alone. You should never leave the room when an animal is in the water. Also you should have known that water was too hot, if you weren't sure you should have looked it up or asked. 100 is WAY too hot, the water should only be 75-80 degrees. 100 degrees will sear them. (Having a flat rock below a tegu with a surface area of 95-100-110 is fine, but it's not the same as covering their body in burning hot water. You can't put them in hot water, it's like dropping them in a put of soup. what feels warm to us is very hot to them when it comes to temperatures of water) You should have prepared the bath yourself and made sure the water was a safe temperature.

I understand wanting another, but perhaps you should do more research on tegus so this sort of thing doesn't happen again and you end up with a sick, injured, or dead tegu....

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
It's the temp a lot of hottubs run at. Ever hopped into one of those hottubs after being at air temp? Guess what? It feels pretty dang hot.

Odonata

I am interested in the discussion on the temperature of the water. I was looking for articles that had more than experiential or sensory data to support water temperatures and can't really find any. A previous thread on TeguTalk:

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=1540#axzz27CMJ07Qt

I have an outside enclosure on my deck that i often take the beardies and tegu out to on the weekends (not at the same time) while I am drinking coffee or working in the yard. It is basically a wire fenced enclosure and has a large water tub in it. The beardies more so than the tegu will hang out in the water of their own accord (which in itself seems odd to me). It can be very hot due to the sun. I have checked it with a temp gun and seen it well over 110 and yet the beardies will jump in. Presumably in the wild open sources of water that are not flowing can be at a substantial temperature as a result of the sun, based on depth and ambient temperature. Whether tegus go into water at those temperatures is another matter.

I really haven't seen any videos or read reports of tegus swimming in the wild, or using bodies of water as preferred escape paths like iguana's supposedly do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu