• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rehoming my extreme

herpgirl2510

I can't believe I have to do this but my husband put his foot down. Yesterday chevy my tegu ran up and it my husands foot it was a good bite. The problem is he just ran up to my 8 year old and bit him and he is in alot of pain and leeding. I can't keep an animal one it bites my son. IChevy is a 2010 vanyard extreme he was not handled by his previous owner and he has been coming around. I can handle him without eing bitten he is still skittish but coming around. I paid $400 I am looking for $250 OBO he has several kinks in his tail that he was born with. I am not looking to ship I live in mass my email is [email protected]. I have pics.
He has alot of white
chick7.jpg
chick3.jpg

chicks9.jpg

herpgirl2510

Thank you he said he does not want to have to worry he will be bit again. When he bit my husband and I bit was not a big deal my son is another story I have no idea what is going on last night he bit my husbands foot too.

tora

Where did your son get bit at? Foot too?
Sorry to hear you have to re-home him. It seems they always get so strange at that age.

herpgirl2510

It his toe and his foot. I wish it did not have to be my son I don't want to have him worry about chevy he charged him while he was standing playing a video game. I am just glad I kept my cool I don't like to see my son hurt. Something must be going on he did this to my husband last night and me a week ago.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aye, sounds like the terrible ones to me, sorry you have to re-home your tegu. If you decide to add another tegu to the family sometime down the road I'd suggest getting a well socialized adult, you won't have to worry about the coming of age craziness some GUs seem to go through. Good luck finding him a great home!

herpgirl2510

I am not the only one involved in the decision I have to take my sons and my husbands feelings into account. He did a number on my husbands toe last night which did not help. I live in Rockport ma I am certainly willing to drive to meet. I have Tonka who is an adult thats enough for me. I am pretty sure rehoming him local will take a long time maybe in that time my son will be less worried and my husband will chill out.

tora

Yeow, feet don't have too much meat on them to cushion the bite either.
I second John's post.

Don't feel bad, they'll probably settle once the tegu settles. My husband is too chicken to help me with them, and he hasn't even had anything bad happen.
Tell them to wear shoes! I always do, just in case.

herpgirl2510

LOL My husband will not even touch my reptiles so I know how you feel. He does however like my tegus. So maybe this is a fluke thing he is on my lap now and is fine. We have come so far with his temperment I just posted a story about him the other day I hate to quit now.

j.sawyer48

i live in billerica just outside of lowell let me think about things i just had a beautiful baby girl 2 days ago so i gatta check wit the wifey and my founds okay

tora

Hehe, he's been making a little more of an effort because my tegus know me and give me less issues than they give him. I told him before I even got one that he has to help with them unless he wants a huge lizard coming after him lol. I don't know why he decided to wait till they were big, but ya'know. Beggars can't be choosers. It may be because I was too overprotective of the tegus when they were little, but I didn't want them losing a tail because he can't hold onto them. :T

Hopefully he does calm down soon. So many become little terrors at a year, but I'm not sure how long it usually lasts.

herpgirl2510

Maybe he is really hungry efore hibernating he is pretty small for a 2010 and only recently has enjoyed eating in the last few weeks. Maybe he is thinking toes are moving prey.

babyyitslove

I would love to take him in... but you're too far from me. You sure they can't just ride it out this ONE time and see if its a hibernation-caused behavior? I don't want to see you let him go.

herpgirl2510

My son is only 8, people with kids can probably see where I am coming from. If he bit him again and hurt him it would be my fault. I am working on my husband but he worries too like I do because he has bitten two people in two days I would do the same even if it was one of my dogs. I am going to see what happens over the next few days I am glad he is only 32" if he was Tonka's size that could be dangerous. Wearing shoes is a good idea but unacceptable in my house everyone would be putting their dirty feet on my clean furniture. If you have boys you know how they can be.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I understand were your coming from, on both parts, were they wearing socks, I ask because I know when my son wears sock he tend to move his toes a lot, especially if standing for longer periods, perhaps they wiggled their toes and he saw it as a mouse, Its just a thought, sometimes me move our feet/toes without knowing

herpgirl2510

Thats what I think I am putting him on probation but if he bites again all the sad puppy dogs eyes I give my husband are not going to matter. Here is his toe pic
bite2.jpg

bite1.jpg

I am putting the sale on the back burner.

tora

Owwwowow I know how that is, my girl got me a few months ago on my hand. Hopefully it doesn't get infected, sweaty feet aren't too... sanitary...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029