• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sexing/spurs

rigo

5 Year Member
I know that male B&W have spurs at the base of their tail, but i'd like to know when they become visible enough to allow "accurate" sexing. Currently my juvi b/w has no real visible spurs but i can feel two little bumps on each side of his? tail. do females have smaller non-visible spurs or no spurs at all? thanks for any info!

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How big are your animals? You can feel it at juvenile, but I'd say at 25 inches, if there are no spurs, it's a female. Females have NO spurs at all. I'll try to get some pics up if mine come out of hibernation for me.

You can always get it probed, but I don't like to.

rigo

5 Year Member
he is just over 2 feet long, (bit of a guess, but he is a nice size
). the bumps are definitely noticeable, i will try to get some pics up hoprefully within a day or two

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here's our male Red. Notice the bumps near the vent.
100_4494_.jpg

Our 8 month old B&W (about 25" long) doesn't have any bumps yet so I'm assuming he's a she.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sometimes these buttons show up at about three feet long, however, I have seen tegus with the start of buttons at two feet long. I high lighted the buttons.

100_4494_.jpg

This is an adult female, note she has no buttons.

normal_Dark_lady_DSCF0001_1.jpg

normal_Dark_lady_DSCF0001.jpg

Alek

5 Year Member
So you are saying you will see or feel nothing at all on the females If so when do the jawls kick in.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Heh, heh, you found my link! :) My Varnyard girl is about 26" and has no spurs. If I feel without looking (she's squirmy), I can imagine I feel them, but it's probably part of the bone structure of the pelvic girdle.

Bobby sent me a pic of a male about the same age/size and he isn't especially jowly, but a just a little heavier in the neck than the girls. I'd like to hear more about this, too.

A hijacking question...males have a darker nose, correct? Is that true with reds as well? When does that show up?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
well im glad im not the only one that remains confused about this topic. i understand that females will not have buttons or bumps at all. my tegu is 29 inches long and is not showing buttons or bumps, but it seems to me that the neck of my tegu is extremely saggy and would appear to be starting the jowl process. although my tegu is only around 4 maybe 5 months old and i have read that jowls dont kick in until around a year old. i am assuming my tegu is 4 or 5 months old due to the fact that i bought it in mid october of 08 and it was only 10 inches long total lenght. when i do try and rub the tail to find the b.b. size bumps my tegu almost seems to tighten or flex that part of the tail and i cant feel anything besides muscle. WILL SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE PLEASE GO INTO MORE DETAILED ABOUT THIS ISSUE. thanks in advance.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
crimsonrazac said:
I'm not really sure but I'v been told the buttons don't show up till around 8 months of age.
That can't be right since many Tegu will go into hibernation a few weeks after hatching and won't grow for 4 to 8 months.

It must be based size, but tubinambis on the tegu.com brought up the point it's based on sexual maturity which must be a combination of age and size.

And the mystery continues!!! :doh

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
LOL.... well if the teg skipped hibro then maybe 6 or 8 months would work for spurs. I DUNNO (keep it going)

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
We needed this topic bumped for more information on sexing. Bobby says around 3 feet but sometimes at 2 feet you can see/feel the buttons. If a tegu skips hybro then getting 3 feet would only take 4 maybe 5 months. So are the buttons/spurs a sign of sexual maturity or strickly size specific?

Quijibo

5 Year Member
OK, so I'll be guilty of digging up an old post.

On the spur/bump thing. Has anyone figured out if it's more age (maturity) or size? I've read a few posts that say around 2'+ you should see the spurs. Jango is just over 25", but he's about a week shy of 3 months old. I don't see spurs, but he is pretty fat so I'm wondering if he(?) just has to get a little pubescent before they show.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
OK, so I'll be guilty of digging up an old post.

On the spur/bump thing. Has anyone figured out if it's more age (maturity) or size? I've read a few posts that say around 2'+ you should see the spurs. Jango is just over 25", but he's about a week shy of 3 months old. I don't see spurs, but he is pretty fat so I'm wondering if he(?) just has to get a little pubescent before they show.

i have been wondering the same thing since nero is closing in on 24" i feel the bead in his vent area but no spurs and he seems to be showing signs of jowls or maybe im just seeing things lol maybe ill see them when he hits 30"+ but im 75% sure he is a he

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Aye. Jango is getting a little jowley also. He's pretty fat so I just wrote it off as "Fluffyness".
:-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980