• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sexing/spurs

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
honda22 said:
I looked at the underside of my tegu and i dont see any spurs and when are they able to breed?

well they dont show up til around 2-2 1/2' and as for breeding age i belive it is 2 y/o for a male and 3 for a female

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Jango is 30" now and still no spurrs. I was on TheTegu.com and Tupinambus mentioned that their head shapes are a little different also. Males have a little longer snout and females tend to be blunter, more of an eqilateral shape. After pouring over pics of both (got nuthin' better to do) there does seem to be a difference. The females look a little more... well... feminine.
Is this also a trait that shows up around sexual maturity, or is it dependant on size?
Jango's head looks like the female's heads to me. Could explain the absence of spurrs.

Maybe it's time for a name change..... I've always liked Elvira. :drool

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Males have a little longer snout and females tend to be blunter, more of an eqilateral shape. After pouring over pics of both (got nuthin' better to do) there does seem to be a difference. The females look a little more... well... feminine.

This may or may not be the case but I tend to disagree. I have 2 males and their overall head shape is very different. If I were to go by this the one would be a female. But being as he has spurs and I have seen his hemipenes and sperm plugs I know it's a male. I think each tegu have it's unique characteristics but at a young age you can't go by head shape alone.

As for the spurs on mine they started showing up around 28-30 inches.

Quijibo

5 Year Member
I found a few pics of males that looked a little more blunted. I kinda figure the head shape is like the jowls. Some look like Men, some look like boys. Jango's head looks a little wider than most also. I haven't found anyone yet that has or had a Gu that was Jango's size at 3 months so it's really hard for me to say that he is a she just because he isn't showing spurrs yet. If most Gu's reach 24" at 6 months, and also get spurrs at 6 months, then it's easy to say they get spurrs at 24". I hope he does get spurrs just because I'm curious as to what age he gets them as opposed to size. If he keeps growing the way he is, he should be close to 4' by then. I expect his growth will start slowing tho. He's already at the size that most start showing spurrs, but he's still very young.
I honestly don't care if he's a male or female. He's beautiful and has a phenominal personality. The whole spurr thing is mostly for my own curiosity.

Thanks for your input Puff, I was hoping someone would respond that saw something differently.

jd61285

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I just saw Captain's giant and mine looks like his tegu's twin. I took a picture of the goods and was wondering if you could tell me if you think it's a male or female. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0393 (640x480).jpg
    514 bytes · Views: 16

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't see any bumps (on either side of the vent) like our Red. I'd say he is a she!

100_4494_.jpg

jd61285

5 Year Member
Thats what i was thinking. Like usual the wife is right he is now princess Xerxes. Thanks Dave

Christina

5 Year Member
So, my new baby is approximtely one year old and I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to hibernate him/her. Anyway, the research I've done indicates that hibernation is more important for a female than a male and being as I just got the little monster I selfishly don't want him/her to go nighty night for six or so months. ANYWAY, to make a short story long, I was hoping you guys can help me with some idea of gender. Here are the pictures I got...

sex02.jpg

sex05.jpg

sex06.jpg

sex03.jpg

Thanks, everyone!!

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Jango is 30" now and still no spurrs. I was on TheTegu.com and Tupinambus mentioned that their head shapes are a little different also. Males have a little longer snout and females tend to be blunter, more of an eqilateral shape. After pouring over pics of both (got nuthin' better to do) there does seem to be a difference. The females look a little more... well... feminine.
Is this also a trait that shows up around sexual maturity, or is it dependant on size?
Jango's head looks like the female's heads to me. Could explain the absence of spurrs.

Maybe it's time for a name change..... I've always liked Elvira. :drool
Well im not sure, Zeros is long and pointy and Xanders was more bluned like you said and ive seen that in tegus that bobby sends out. If he guesses there a girl the heads look a little shorter and when there supposed to be a guy its longer. I dont know im mot an expert. Maybe it just depends. Bobby is the expert

Christina

5 Year Member
Quijibo said:
Girl. If you're not going to breed her, I wouldn't bother hibe'n her.

If I AM going to breed her (albeit not this year or next but the year after) then should I still 'put her under'?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You do not decide if they're going to hibernate, they do. Our 8 year old male Red went down a month ago in a room that is 75 to 80 degrees.

Also, it isn't proven that they need to hibernate to successfully breed. Our Blues have never hibernated and we've had fertile clutches the last 2 years.

Christina

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
You do not decide if they're going to hibernate, they do. Our 8 year old male Red went down a month ago in a room that is 75 to 80 degrees.

Also, it isn't proven that they need to hibernate to successfully breed. Our Blues have never hibernated and we've had fertile clutches the last 2 years.

Thanks so much for that info!!! I'm used to breeding snakes and I am most definitely the one who decides whether or not they're brumating. So far my girl doesn't seem overly inclined to hibernate so I'll keep a close eye on her eating/sleeping behaviour and go from there. You've eased some considerable anxiety for me so again, thank you.

simon021

5 Year Member
Christina said:
DaveDragon said:

Thanks so much for that info!!! I'm used to breeding snakes and I am most definitely the one who decides whether or not they're brumating. So far my girl doesn't seem overly inclined to hibernate so I'll keep a close eye on her eating/sleeping behaviour and go from there. You've eased some considerable anxiety for me so again, thank you.

So what do you do to keep your reptiles from hibernating?

Christina

5 Year Member
simon021 said:
Christina said:
DaveDragon said:

So what do you do to keep your reptiles from hibernating?

If you don't substantially (albeit gradually) reduce a snake's temperatures and light cycle, it doesn't brumate. Some snakes won't breed succesfully without brumating, some snakes don't seem to mind.

simon021

5 Year Member
Christina said:
If you don't substantially (albeit gradually) reduce a snake's temperatures and light cycle, it doesn't brumate. Some snakes won't breed succesfully without brumating, some snakes don't seem to mind.

Right, but I'm asking about the tegu. This doesnt seem to be the case with tegus, as we have had many members' tegus go down for hibernation in enclosures that are over 80 degrees. I would prefer my tegu does not hibernate, and initially when he went down for a week, I woke him up on about day 8. Since then he has been up for a few days, down for a few days, up for a few days, down for a few days. But the days he's up, he's been eating a bit here and there, although nothing even close to his usual appetite. I was just curious if you had successfully kept a Tegu from breeding, and what exactly you did. I think if I had my gu in a room with no windows it would be much easiier :D

Christina

5 Year Member
simon021 said:
Right, but I'm asking about the tegu. This doesnt seem to be the case with tegus, as we have had many members' tegus go down for hibernation in enclosures that are over 80 degrees. I would prefer my tegu does not hibernate, and initially when he went down for a week, I woke him up on about day 8. Since then he has been up for a few days, down for a few days, up for a few days, down for a few days. But the days he's up, he's been eating a bit here and there, although nothing even close to his usual appetite. I was just curious if you had successfully kept a Tegu from breeding, and what exactly you did. I think if I had my gu in a room with no windows it would be much easiier :D

Oooooh, this is actually my first tegu so I have no idea! Hopefully one of the experienced keepers can chime in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980