• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Species SuggestionÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ?¬Å¡Ã?Â

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m looking for a lizard that gets 12~18Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡

dicy

5 Year Member
try looking in lacertas and ameivas if u want anything tegu like
cnemidophorus tigris
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/animals/reptiles/cnemtig.jpg">http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/ani ... nemtig.jpg</a><!-- m -->
lacerta trilineata
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hlasek.com/lacerta_trilineata_e1452.html">http://www.hlasek.com/lacerta_trilineata_e1452.html</a><!-- m -->

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
No way, still too small. Yellows get about 18 in" and reds get 20-24". Smaller than the biggest timors, but the bare minimum would be 4x2x2. And, they would not enjoy that space very much. They're very active animals. The only available monitor that would work in such tight quarters would be V. storri or storr's monitor. They look like ackies, but are much smaller. A guy named Neal in Arizona breeds them, but I doubt you'll be able to get your hands on them. They are rare in captivity and belong in the hands of experienced monitor breeders. It would be unfair to the community to just keep them as a pet.

AB^

5 Year Member
yea I wouldnt stick an ameiva in something that small, then again what do I know about ameivas :)

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Please don't get an amieva. Go with something captive bred, like a rankins dragon.

To be honest, you might want to a few smaller lizards instead of one bigger one. They would make more use of the cage.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mike said:
To be honest, you might want to a few smaller lizards instead of one bigger one. They would make more use of the cage.

IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ve been leaning toward this same conclusion myselfÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

So with a 2Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ x 3Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ cage @ 1.5~2Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ tallÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ lighting/heating/humidity to suitÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ The 4 sides will be solid walls and the top will be glassÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ confident active species will work best with the restricted viewing angleÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m not interested in the additional responsibility of breeding with this set up (have my hands full in the fish room :D )Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

What species or mix of species could make a peaceful group or colony in such a set up? Again, IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m only interested in lizards that do not have sticky padsÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ as the glass top will have an access hole cut into it with no lidÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢d prefer lizards that are active in the morning/evening hours (although not a requirement)Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

I think if I were to go with a Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Â¦Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??communityÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not a fan of spiders... I'm actually keeping geckos in my fish room to prevent them :p

Would a pair of Collard lizards work?

I had a pair of them when I was a kid and with daily handling they were amazingly tame. Not skittish at all and would happily ride around on my shoulder without trying to escape (indoors). I don't plan to handle them daily but do plan to stop to admire them daily... but I'm reading they are commonly skittish?...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never seen a Timor three feet long, that is 36 inches, the are most often times around 20 inches, and the largest one I have ever seen was almost 28 inches and it was a rare monster.

I have had many of them through the years, this is one I had and is about the average size of an adult.

timor_monitor_001.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well Timors are cool animals, but they tend to be very shy and are not really the type of animal that can be handled. They are more of a show piece, and will bite and fight when handled.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I have a couple of suggestions. My first would be a Blue Tongue Skink. They are easy maintenance, tame quite nicely, and are cute as heck! That enclosure size is a bit small but if given a second level I think one could be happy and healthy.

My second suggestion would be some of the oplurus species. There are several that come out of madagascar and some of them are quite attractive. They are active and fun to watch, not terribly fond of handling though. The largest grow to about 14-15 inches and they all will utilize vertical space. Here are a couple of photos. The other advantage to these is that they are cheap and do well in groups. They run less than $15 each.
Oplurus grandidieri

30216op1.jpg

Oplurus quadrimaculata
30216oplurus_grandidieri1.jpg

I guess I could also make a third suggestion and mention the Agamas. They are considered the poor man's bearded dragon but some of them are quite attractive. I really like the appearance of the stellio. Here is a current ad for some agamas.
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=34&de=586865

dicy

5 Year Member
lol all timors i worked whit where over 2ft the 2 i have now are aprox 72 for the fem and 75 for the male the male i sold to a friend that works whit timors was even bigger and still growing the fem that died in my care was the smalles she was 68 cm so all over 2ft they r shy but when acktive they need their room to hunt walk and to get out of ezachothers way for timors i personaly whould go for atleast a 4x2x3ft viv but the bigger the better

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214