• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

The truth behind Blue tegus.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
You're quite correct, Bobby, but you overlooked the caveat.

Considering the traits of these that I've seen in other areas outside of Chacoa, it seems silly to classify them as such in the absence of a regulating body.

All the examples of which you speak fall under the guidelines of a regulating body, ie. there is a scientific or government group that determines what the official common name is. There is no such body for reptiles of South America. The name "Argentine black & white tegu" is not adopted by anyone outside of the hobbyist arena, it is an invention of convenience only. Yet like I said, when someone else claims theirs to be Paraguyan or Peruvian, people get riled up. Those names are just as official as "Argentine" is. This is why I generally push for people to learn the scientific name, then there is NO confusion as to what species is being discussed, but that's a matter for a different diatribe.

This is true, however there is also no true Colombian tegus, they are not just found in Colombia. In many areas the two species are both found.

DMBizeau

DaveDragon said:
Legally exporting it would be very difficult.

+1 ^^

Tegus are on the CITES list so technically it is illegal to import wild caught tegus to the US. That is why we are skeptical. Not to mention the blues we have in the US actually came in with a shipment of columbians and not much is known about where they actually came from.

Moofins

Personally, I find something such as albinism in animals to be completely unfounded and wrong. I will admit to being a hypocrite, though; the ONE animal I would love to have in the albino mutation is a Burm, but that's the only exception. Also, it can thrive just fine because it is nocturnal.

But that is besides the point.

Here is how I will put it into context:

Albinism is a mutation. Yes, we all know that. Albinism in people is rare - but do we find THIS to be a desirable trait? We don't see albino human beings running around because, let's face it, it's not naturally meant to be and (no offense intended here) it's not attractive. People afflicted with albinism don't just "hook up" left, right and center to encourage such a thing.

So why on earth would we breed our animals so as encourage something this unnatural? Albinism has no purpose. It is a flaw - plain and simple.

hoosier

5 Year Member
I LOVE THIS THREAD!! i have to say i quite agree with tupinambis on his stance of the common pet trade name. I personally like using scientific names due to the fact its really straight foward. however with the blues and the giants, there isnt a clear color morph VS subspecies classifications. with this i move into my contribution to this discussion:
there has been similar discussion with the "sulfur" varanus salvator back in 2010 on varanus.nl a site dedicated to the genus VARANUS. The discussion went on to state that they can not be upgraded ot their own subspecies or labled as a "color morph" of just one type of salvator because of the fact that the population that it has been imported from is rare and kept a secret. Going on hearsay alone will just cofuse even the most expert researcher. but according to the discussion:
"Scale counts and DNA analysis can help determine if it is a distinct species or subspecies (hemipenal morphology as well), however, the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN), which is a set of conditions/requirements which must be followed when naming new species/subspecies, requires that a holotype of the taxon to be deposited into a museum that has an authenticated, known collection locality.

Since a verifiable locality for these animals do not exist, specimens floating around in the pet trade of unknown origin cannot be assigned as a holotype. Therefore, until that day such a specimen is deposited, this variant will remain lumped together with others as Varanus salvator" this is quoted from the site and authored by Robert W. Mendyk A.K.A arborgoannas. posted 2010-02-18 16:07:31 on varanus.nl
i really hope he does not mind me using this because it explains it perfectly and i cited him lol

Bntegus

RE:

Ron never imported albinos they came from blues that he hatched i still have 1.3 albinos and 4.12 blues all from Ron's blood and i don't think that you have it straight about the albinos seeing mine are 12 years old and they live 6 months outside in the good old sun. 12 years old not months. just my 2cents.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kind of an old post Bntegus but I'm sure many here would love seeing pictures of your tegus(myself included) and any information you care to share that could dispel some possibly misconceived notions.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wanna see your blues! I would also be interested in any info you'd care to share.

got10

Moofins said:
Personally, I find something such as albinism in animals to be completely unfounded and wrong. I will admit to being a hypocrite, though; the ONE animal I would love to have in the albino mutation is a Burm, but that's the only exception. Also, it can thrive just fine because it is nocturnal.

But that is besides the point.

Here is how I will put it into context:

Albinism is a mutation. Yes, we all know that. Albinism in people is rare - but do we find THIS to be a desirable trait? We don't see albino human beings running around because, let's face it, it's not naturally meant to be and (no offense intended here) it's not attractive. People afflicted with albinism don't just "hook up" left, right and center to encourage such a thing.

So why on earth would we breed our animals so as encourage something this unnatural? Albinism has no purpose. It is a flaw - plain and simple.

The same reason people breed English bulldogs chihuahuas and poodles I guess

Renske

5 Year Member
2 of my 3 blue tegus come from Brazil. The other one is F1 of a friend of my how has also some Brazilian tegus. This brazilian tegus come from a farm from brazil how does not excist anymore... All blue tegu in europe are brazilians. They have no healt problems and no albinisme. The tegus in europe are also a lot more aggresive. Can get tame, but its not as easy als your blue tegus.

198043_462967840408859_1133739249_n.jpg

381627_462967853742191_892832016_n.jpg

405159_462967817075528_436946169_n.jpg

311196_462967930408850_1174588130_n.jpg

537663_467182353320741_964564623_n.jpg

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
What health problems do blue tegus in the US have? Have you ever actually seen a US CB blue tegu in person Renske? How do you know what their aggression levels tend to be? The one I have at my house is not friendly at all and is fairly defensive and spunky. She will tail whip aggressively if approached and does not sit still when I am holding her. I feel like you are judging our tegus without ever having seen one which I think is incredibly closed minded and pretty offensive. I am not getting into the subject of Albino Tegus as there is no reason to restart that discussion.

Renske

5 Year Member
TegusRawsome80 said:
What health problems do blue tegus in the US have? Have you ever actually seen a US CB blue tegu in person Renske? How do you know what their aggression levels tend to be? The one I have at my house is not friendly at all and is fairly defensive and spunky. She will tail whip aggressively if approached and does not sit still when I am holding her. I feel like you are judging our tegus without ever having seen one which I think is incredibly closed minded and pretty offensive. I am not getting into the subject of Albino Tegus as there is no reason to restart that discussion.

Why is everyone alway offended. Mybe I don't understand your language enouge... But I don't mean it that way. I read a lot of storys about bues are so extreemly tame and are inbreeded and stuff like that. Our blue tegus are fresh blood and are all very aggresive. It takes time to get them tame. On this forum everyone tells the same story. They are tame sinds they got it. Some people don't like the albino. I love the looks of them, but if you ask a genetic he will say it is a weakness.
But I think If you could breed an albino with fresh blood It will be much stronger.
I tell all of this becouse I tought it would be interesting to swap some animals from europe and amerika. So we never have to inbreed in europe and in amerika you can breed with fresh blood to get all the animals stronger. Including albino. Becouse it should be posible to give an albino tegu a uvb bulb. Other albino's can have it. I had an albino waterdragon how did not burn.. But he died becouse he never wanted to eat.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Okay, I think I definitely misunderstood your intentions from your post. It's definitely not that you don't understand the language, you speak great English, but it's hard to understand context through text. I simply don't buy the six founding tegu theory to be honest. I don't think they could go from being so few to so plentiful in just a few years. There are a lot of blues out there, although people don't sell them much and most are owned by the breeders of the species. I would guess more blues have come in but the way they got here could be illegal although I have no proof of this. I would love to find a way to exchange blues between Europe and America to diversify blood. I wish the blue I take care of was tame as soon as I got it but it was really pretty spastic and unfriendly haha. I'd love to see pics of your albino waterdragon that sounds awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980