• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Varanus gouldii

clarock

5 Year Member
wanna share my friend v.gouldii....

DSC01159.jpg

Berdiri.jpg

she's a sweet heart..sometimes she's sleep on my hand.. :-D

maddogg9019

5 Year Member
that's a beautiful little guy. Where did you find a gouldii? I have never really seen them for sale. Cute little guy too

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I don't know much about monitors.. but he sure is a cutie! Do they stand up on their back legs like that often? Too adorable!

hoosier

5 Year Member
Yup they tripod like that all the time. its one of the neatest characteristics about the gouldii complex. Beautiful varanid by the way. im looking into getting a panoptes horni pretty soon. 8)

maddogg9019

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
Gouldii being....... a "sand monitor"? I can't remember.
Sounds right to me, but I'm no expert, I think i've seen them called that though.

Hoosier the panoptes horni is the argus monitor rightt? Those are probably some of the coolest monitors out there! I love the tri-poding

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
V. flavirufus is commonly know as sand monitor/sand goanna. Classification of panoptes/gouldii is confusing. They are commonly mixed up. Hope this helps:

"Varanus gouldii was first described by Grey in 1838. Subsequently the animals from the extreme south of Australia were classified as a separate species (V.rosenbergi) and a desert race was described (V.gouldii flavirufus). In 1980 Storr described a new species V.panoptes, from animals previously assigned to V.gouldii, based on differences in scalation, the presence of rows of dark spots over the back in the V.panoptes rubidus and the presence of a banded tail tip in V.panoptes panoptes. Unfortunately the type specimen of V.gouldii is kept on the other side of the world (in London) and Storr did not see this animal before describing V.panoptes. In 1991 Bohme reported that the type specimen of V.gouldii was identical to the animals described by Storr as a new species. As a result V.panoptes is considered a junior synonym of V.gouldii and so the "new" species is entitled to the old name V.gouldii. Meanwhile the animals considered by Storr to belong to V.gouldii have no valid scientific name. The next available name is V.flavirufus, the name used by Mertens (1958) to describe the desert races of "V.gouldii". Thus the desert form becomes V.flavirufus flavirufus, but the remaining races, which extend throughout Australia except for the extreme south, are currently nameless. This is highly unsatisfactory, because some people believe that the desert populations (V.flavirufus) form a separate species from the animals in more mesic areas, and that the latter animals (which now have no valid scientific name) may be a complex of more than one species. This makes any description of the group ridiculously complicated. Biochemical comparisons of the group throughout Australia are needed to properly resolve these very serious taxonomic problems. When adequate material is available to allow comparison between races from all over Australia any revisions to the taxonomy will have to allocate new names to animals that have been written about for over 150 years."

All panoptes in the Us trade are from New Guinea due to a ban on the export of Australian fauna in the 1950's. Many monitors have been illegally exported, but anything other that varanus panoptes horni is not available. Unfortunate, but that's how it is. They're are argus/sands crosses available though, but I'm not fond of morphs. It's a waste of time, considering these animals may one day become extinct. In Australia, panoptes and mertensi are under huge threat, because of the invasive species buffo marinus (marine toad) which secrets a toxin that kills the monitors. Hopefully in the future the remaining monitors will not only exist in captivity.

Great little bugger. Mine's at home.

-Chris

clarock

5 Year Member
well in jakarta you can find alot of monitor's especially monitors from Indonesia..including gouldii in the market.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I guess so, Jakarta is in indonesia and BTW that is soo far away from here! The Internet is truly a wonderful thing, its like summer time there right now, isnt it?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What part of Indonesia? I have beent there, but not for a while. I was in Bali.

gebris353

5 Year Member
Ya, summer is here right know, travelling to Indonesia next month and so on till it reaches the US :p

Anyways I've seen a really nice BBC documentary of 30 minutes about these guys called Monitor Lizard - Africa's Greatest Thief and they are beautiful animals. :-D

gebris353

5 Year Member
Dont know what "orly" means, sorry :p But you can find it in eMule, using torrents or even direct download by rapidshare. I can give you the link by PM. Just dont want to break the forum's rules. :-D

dicy

5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
Ya, summer is here right know, travelling to Indonesia next month and so on till it reaches the US :p

Anyways I've seen a really nice BBC documentary of 30 minutes about these guys called Monitor Lizard - Africa's Greatest Thief and they are beautiful animals. :-D
the species ur talking about r ornate monitors ore nile monitors since gouldis come from australia :D

gebris353

5 Year Member
Oh thanks dicy for the info, I saw this one kinda different but I cant distinguish monitor species at all, I really like them tho. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu